iPhone or Clone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HeatherA, Mar 31, 2009.

1. HeatherA macrumors 6502

HeatherA

I'm meeting someone tonight to buy a while iPhone. It's from a Craigslist ad. I know some of the clones look really closely like iPhones and I'm wondering if you have any tips to look forward when purchasing on the secondary market. I currently have a 32gb Touch so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to tell a fake from the real thing, but I'm nervous about the purchase none the less.

Thanks.

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well if it comes with an extra battery… run!
    Or a manual that says :apple:Phone.

This thread may help you.

3. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Meet at a place where there are lots of people and its well lit. Then tell the person that you want to try it out. If they act irritated then i would call it off. If the phone is legit then he/she wont mind the 3 minutes it'll take you to play wit it a little. let us know how it goes.

4. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

There is another thread about someone who got duped on here..

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=674719&highlight=iPhone+OR+iClone

I would read that and look for tips. Best thing to do is to know EXACTLY what features an iPhone has and what features it doesn't.

The battery is non-removable, you cannot add memory to it etc...

Another tip would be to turn it on and go to Settings>General>About and then check out the firmware version, serial number, etc...

Good Luck, :apple:

5. Apple iKid macrumors regular

Id say the best way to tell would be to power it up and test it. It would be helpful if you had an iPhone to compare it too. haha ;)

6. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

Serial #, General Settings -> About, Coverflow, icons, etc.

7. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Try someone else's or go to an Apple/AT&T store to try one out.

8. aok1975 macrumors 6502

If you actually doubt what a real iphone looks like,,,then i think you should call off the deal. Simple

9. emp1re macrumors newbie

10. HeatherA thread starter macrumors 6502

HeatherA

Thanks for the great feedback everyone. I have held and played with iPhones at the Apple store several times, I just wanted to make sure I was not one of those that fell for a good fake. I have a touch, so I figured that would help me to be able to spot a fake. I still have not yet picked up my phone so I will take the good advice with me. I did not realize many of the clones advertised removable batteries and memory card slots. That would be a dead giveaway for me.

Thanks again!

-Heather

11. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

well there you have. The iphone OS is exactly the same as the Ipod Touch OS

You should be able to compare them, they should look the same, react the same, flick the same etc.