iPhone or iPad Purchase Advice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DSPalpatine, Aug 11, 2011.

1. DSPalpatine macrumors member

Okay, so this is going to be another of those 'what should I get' threads. My birthday is coming up in the near future, and I want to treat myself to something nice (it's one of those 'milestone' birthdays... figure my choice is either to cry or celebrate, so I'll celebrate and buy something from Apple).

Anyway, I have an iPhone 3GS (in my sig) that is out of contract. I probably will renew with AT&T, as I have had no problems with service where I live, and have gotten better customer service with them than when I was with Verizon. Here are my choices:

1. Get an iPhone 4. My hobby, and passion, is photography, and when I'm not shooting with my dSLR, I find my 3GS is my 'always with me' camera. Image quality seems like a dramatic jump with the iPhone 4, and HD video would be a nice add-on. When I compare the screen on my 3GS to the Retina Display on the 4, I'm also really impressed with the display on the 4.

2. Wait for the iPhone 4GS/5/Whatever-it-will-be-called. Makes sense, I suppose. But then again, I'm pretty happy with my 3GS overall, so it's not like I need the latest and greatest tech (hell, the computer in our den is a G5 iMac).

3. Get an iPad 2 and keep my 3GS. I haven't quite figured out a 'use case' for getting an iPad, aside from just plain gadget envy. I do travel a fair bit for my job, and I think I'd rather have one of these on the road with me than lugging my work-issued Dell everywhere, but I'm not sure if I'd get as much use out of this as I would a new iPhone.

Your input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

My opinion says that you should go for an iPhone 4 or time permitting the next generation of iPhone. An iPad is nice, but will in no way replace your laptop other than light media consumption. It's not equipped to be a productivity machine quite yet.

I believe that you'l get much more use out of an iPhone. The camera is brilliant and can only get better with the next one(rumor), the screen is amazingly bright and crisp, and the form factor is just right with the 4. Rumors suggest that might change, but I have faith that Apple will keep it within a comfortable size.

3. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

If you're still happy with your 3GS, I'd recommend the iPad. It sounds like you could get some use out of an iPad, and new toys are much more fun than just replacing other toys!