iPhone or iPad? What should I do??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dayneoram, Dec 25, 2010.

1. dayneoram, Dec 25, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010

dayneoram macrumors member

Sorry, I don't use this forum often enough to know where to post this...

Okay, so over this month from a lot of family, I have been given £445. Now, I obviously don't need to tell you that's a lot of money, especially for a teen like me... I'm 9 months from college to be a Games Design student, and I need some help deciding on what to do.

Here are my thoughts;

iPhone 4;

I'm £55 away from one of these. I've wanted one for a long time, especially since my 3G is getting old, slow. The screen is smashed and the headphone socket is almost knackered. (No, I'm not careless, just very unlucky- plus the back of it is really slippery... =/) It would be very useful and practical, since I'll be able to do a lot of things on a pocket sized device, including listening to music on the morning bus again. Not to mention one or two cool new features.

However, I know that it won't give me the same feeling of opening something new and awesome since I've been using an iPhone for the past couple of years...

iPad;

This, on the other hand, definitely WOULD give me that "excitement", and I can imagine myself using this in college for notes, browsing youtube and forums casually at home (I've used an iPad for the browsing in-store and I love it!) plus we'll learn how to make decent iPad games at college, so I'll have another testing platform and something to play it on.

The downsides are...
    - Can't carry it everywhere, so no music on the go until I get another wad of cash (probably in another years time, or when I find a job and work at it for a few months) for a small iPod too.
    - iPad 2 coming in march. I'm not sure I can wait that long, but I may still be a little disappointed for it to be come obsolete so quickly, despite the fact that will always happen anyway.
    - I have a MacBook which will do pretty much the same jobs, minus the fun little apps, and maybe not quite as fun to do them.

I have been wanting an iPad since the first keynote on it though, but I really need to think about this still. With your help of course!

Finally, iPod Nano;

This would solve the music problem, and would also give me a little of the "new thing" feeling, albeit a very short lasting one due to the lack of features. This solution would leave me money to get my iPhone 3G repaired, but having that repaired wouldn't solve the getting slow issue, nor the fact it is becoming obsolete in terms of functionality and compatibility.

Sorry to have bored you with all that, but I really need to figure this out! That's a lot of money to have on my hands, and I want to be careful and responsible with it!

And by responsible, I mean "a total tech geek who will blow it all on Apple stuff" :D

Thanks for your help :)

2. Barnzee macrumors regular

I would go for the iphone 4. Not only does it suit your needs perfect, but you get the Retina display as well.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Since you are so close to college, how are you fixed for a computer for college? If that is all squared away, I'd go for the iPhone.

4. dayneoram thread starter macrumors member

Okay, I'm going to wait for just a few more opinions to see if there are any other points worth considering... But thanks very much! I was leaning to the iPhone... Just a shame I don't have enough yet =L

P.s. Yes, I have a perfectly adequate MacBook :)

5. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

I would say the iPhone is the way to go; however, since you still have 9 months to go, why not wait for the new model? Since you already have the MacBook, tethering would be a nice addition if you were in an area that didn't have WiFi. Since you will be a student this will be even more beneficial.

I think the iPad might be nice as well, but with a potential revision coming around and such a decent period of time before college, I would wait.

iPod Nano sounds like a waste of money for now. You can do everything it does on your iPhone. If the money is burning a hole in your pocket then put it in an account (interest rates are non-existant but it might keep you from spending it!).

6. dayneoram thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! But don't worry, I won't be spending it on anything other than the three, or two as you have cancelled one out, gadgets :)

But thanks for the feedback again!

7. rezatayebi macrumors regular

Since you are going to be a game design student I think the iPad is going to be a lot more helpful.

You are going to study some very complicated 3d applications, the best and fastest way to learn these apps is by watching video tutorials made by companies like Gnomon and Digital Tutors. iPhone's screen is way too small for watching video tutorials. iPad's display on the other hand is the perfect size.

As a game design artist, you have to study the best works of other artists in your field. There are websites like CG Society where great 2D and 3D artists post their works. Of course you can see the galleries of these websites in Safari on an iPhone, but when looking at an artwork, can you study the details of modeling, texturing, lighting and rendering on iPhone's tiny screen?

I can write pages about how iPad is going to be a lot more useful to you than an iPhone. That is all because of screen size of course.

8. dayneoram, Dec 26, 2010

dayneoram thread starter macrumors member

I like your thinking... I'm swayed back to the middle of the two again!

If you do ever write these arguments in a blog post, don't forget to give me a link!!

Just want to sum up the OP...

iPad Pros:

-Big screen
    -Loads of fun
    -More practical uses
    -Great for car journeys and planes
    -It's awesome!
    -I CAN AFFORD IT NOW! :D

iPad Cons:

-Too big to carry everywhere
    -May become obsolete soon
    -Many of the work related features can already be achieved on my MacBook

iPhone 4 Pros:

-Small enough to go everywhere <-- Biggest pro.
    -Can replace my current broken iPhone 3G which is way outdated
    -Retina Display
    -Great camera <-- Smallest pro

iPhone 4 Cons:

-Too much of the same. Not much more exciting. (Owned an iPhone for a long time already)
    -Small screen
    -Less fun to browse YouTube, Facebook, forums and modelling apps.
    -Not as practical for things such as Pages or other productive apps.
    -Still need to scrape £55 from somewhere to get one... Isn't practical as the nearest Apple store is an hour or so away from us, in a big shopping centre and we're going there next week...

That's what's going around my mind right now...

Thanks for the help so far, guys! You've been really... Well... Helpful!

9. dayneoram thread starter macrumors member

Another thing... If the iPad 2 is coming out in April as rumoured, would it be worth waiting 4 months for it? (Could I really last that long??)

If I do decided to get an iPad (quite likely at the moment), then I'll need to decide between 1 and 2.

Opinions? On the OP and this?

10. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Firstly, you're saying 'College' and it appears you're in the UK, so you're 15?

Due to your age, I will say to you what I say to every other young person whom I know has bought an iPhone:

Do you NEED all the features? Or could you easily settle for an iPod Touch and a cheapish Internet capable phone?

If you mainly use your iPhone for gaming: stop using it for gaming, buy yourself an iPod touch/ipad for the gaming, and just use it as a phone.

Nothing drastic will happen on the next ipad update. They wont be adding a retina PPI display (it's not feasible), they may add a camera but its not going to be a drastic update.

I say just get yourself an iPod touch, keep your iPhone and keep your money for something worthwhile in the future. I don't wish to sound rude, but as you already have a MacBook, an iPhone, you just seem to want the iPad due to hype, especially as you say you might use it for college, but that's next September, so no need to buy it now anyway.

11. dayneoram thread starter macrumors member

16- Born in 1994, just before year above :)

But thanks for your ideas. And I understand your mindset, but the reason I didn't disclose my age before is because people throw me into the same boat as other teens, and I can't stand that. I consider myself more mature than others of the same age, and the reason I want one is because of the hype, it's because I've played with one, and I know how awesome Apple products are.

I've already decided I'm getting both, but until I get a decent job, that isn't going to happen. it will be a long time before I can afford both, and by then a couple of newer versions will have come out.

The reason I would want an iPhone 4 is because mine is a bit broken, and it satisfies all my requirements.

And the reasons I want an iPad is because of the same features (mostly) as the iPhone, but with a bigger screen.

And I have read into the retina display already, so I know it's not feasible; the ppi needed to class it as a retina display exceeds that of professional macs and Apple displays. But that doesn't mean there won't be a higher screen resolution.

I'm tempted to see what the keynote in January reveals, but as I said- It's rare that I go to this shopping centre with an Apple store, so I may be tempted to get one when I go soon.

12. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

keep in mind OP, there might be an iphone 5 in 2011!?!

13. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I completely understand, I'm just trying to keep the options open, as I know most teens think everything Apple is fantastic, and they have to have it all even if they can't afford it.

I say get whichever you NEED. So if you think your phone is so badly damaged that you should get a new one, then get a new one.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but at the end of the day it's your decision.

Bit of advice for you, if you want an iPhone, get it on a Tesco 12 Month £20/Month contract, 250 minutes, Unlimited texts, 1GB Data, £349 upfront for the 16GB iPhone 4, works out cheaper than the iPhone on it's own unlocked. (Dependant on your parents though, due to you being under the age of 18)

Well aren't you a smart one :rolleyes:

14. dayneoram, Dec 26, 2010

dayneoram thread starter macrumors member

I don't get enough money regularly enough for a contract, so it'll be on pay as you go.

I'm really tempted to wait until January to see what the keynote has in store, and if it's not got anything cool or important, I shall probably get an iPad.

Also, my phone isn't great, but it works as a phone. However, I only really use the apps / internet at home anyway because of the WiFi (don't always have credit for 3G) so if I had an iPad, it would basically do everything (other than the phone) that my iPhone does, but on a bigger screen.

@shyam09 I'm not bothered about the iPhone 5; the iPhone has grown enough to be good enough for me. It will always be updated, so not much change there! The iPad, however has quite a way to grow.

EDIT: Actually, by the time I can afford an iPhone 4, I will be watching the keynote, so I can make the final decision than.

I would still like to hear your opinions / comparisons on both though!