iPhone or iPad ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MichaelS99, Sep 20, 2011.

1. MichaelS99 macrumors newbie

I currently have a MacBook Pro but am thinking of a new Apple device. I also have a non-functioning iPod Touch 3G. I am in Year 8 (7th grade in U.S academics). What should I get; an iPad 2 (16GB + WiFi) or an iPhone 5 (wait for it). I know they are very different things and the iPad is not a "larger iPod touch / iPhone". Thanks in advance.:D

2. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

The iPhone is way more helpful since you'll always have it around.

3. charliecc macrumors regular

Personally I'd go for an iPhone seeing as you already have a MBP. The iPhone can do everything an iPad can do and more (GPS, make calls etc), albeit at the expense of a large screen.

There are 2 people in my office who have an iPhone, iPad and a MacBook, and they've both said they won't buy another iPad. They love it, but they hardly ever use it.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

i would go with an iPhone since it pretty much will go everywhere with u. Then save up for an iPad.

5. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

Well, ummm, do you need the device to make normal calls? That could be a factor...

6. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I'd wait and see if iPhone 5 has a phone that works properly. If so then buy one.

7. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I've had my iPad since the 3G launch, and my iP4 since mid-July. I also own a MBP, And I have kids closer to your age than being it myself!

I had data full time on my iPad until i got the iPhone, I had to choose and as I needed the phone I picked it. I don't regret it - but the iPad data was wayyyy more useful to me. I spend a lot of time in waiting rooms and just prefer Using the iPad during that time.

If i were a student it would depend on if i planned on using it for school stuff. Is it allowed in your classes? they aren't in the schools here (neither is the phone though), so I would have to factor that into the equation.

All in all, put your uses under a microscope.

8. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Let me tell you this, when i was in Grade 7.. i didn't have a laptop, smartphone, or a tablet. I just had a desktop computer. (and that was not very long ago) I believe this is over-excessive, but it's up to you.

But after using the iPad, along with my MacBook Pro and iPhone, i realized that i use the iPad less and less. Because Lion on my 13" MacBook Pro converts my laptop into a tablet with the full screen mode, and i enjoy it thoroughly. Also, my iPhone takes care of the mobile aspects.

If the iPhone 5 rumors are true, then it'll have a bigger screen. Which will again lower my need of the iPad.
    So i'm on the verge of selling my iPad and buying a Kindle for eBooks instead.

I really don't find a MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone necessary when used together, and especially for a student.

9. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

That's very true. If you dont have an iPhone yet, I should get the iPhone instead of the iPad

10. drober30 macrumors 6502a

If you or your parents can afford an iPhone's monthly service plan, then I say iPhone all the way!

11. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

iPhone, definitely. I LOVE my iPad but it's definitely -more- of a luxury item than the iPhone.

12. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

You're 13?! I'd say you've got some wicked spelling and grammar skills. Better than mine when I was that age. :p

As far as the device choice goes, get an iPhone if you want to also be able to make calls, but get the iPad if you want to use it to take notes and things of that nature.

13. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

14. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

15. MichaelS99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone !

Thanks everyone ! :roll eyes: I think I might just get an iPhone 5 unlocked for Christmas and maybe an iPad 1G refurbished for my birthday. Oh BTW, I'm not really rich at all - It's just my Dad's alimony cheques are £200 (314.36 U.S. dollars). Thanks again !

P.S: Thanks for saying my grammar is good :)

16. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

iphone for sure!...It goes everywhere you go.

17. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625