iPhone or iPod Touch? Chrome Netbook & iMac or Macbook & external screen?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kitchentyler, Mar 1, 2010.

1. kitchentyler macrumors newbie

Here's a good debate for all y'all:

I'm can almost afford to get back into the Land of Mac. My usage would be mainly blogging (which I'd like to do on-the-fly wherever I am), Google Reader, emailing, writing, heavy web browsing, light video editing, mild audio recording and editing, mild Photoshop/InDesign, and periodic web design. Oh and watching movies (downloaded or on DVD) and tv shows (the latter either streamed, downloaded, or on DVD).

I don't have any of the stuff I need to get back into this stuff. I used to have an 24" iMac which worked well at the time, but now that I'm hoping to blog more regularly (and on-the-fly) that might not be the right fit anymore.

So, as I see it my options are:

1. iMac at home and iPhone (would anyone use one for mobile blogging?).
    1a. iMac at home and iPod touch (good enough for mobile blogging?)

2. iMac at home and Chrome Netbook (these look very intriguing for my usage...I'd like to try one when they come out in the fall).
    2a. iMac at home and some other netbook
    2b. iMac at home and iPad (I'm just throwing this in for the sake of discussion the launch and specs did not impress me)

3. Macbook Pro with a big ol' external screen (Samsung HD?)
    3a. Macbook with big ol' external screen (can the MB handle processing video for a big external screen, like, say, a Samsung HD?)

Also, my life partner, needs a new portable computer. Her usage would be just emailing, writing, Facebookery, and light web browsing mostly. We'd like to not have to buy three computers...that just seems ridiculous for two people. And we're not rich...yet.

Thanks, team. I knew I could count on you!
    ty

2. kitchentyler thread starter macrumors newbie

3. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I'd get a MBP when the new line comes out, not before. Also, I'd recommend the iPad 3G if you need a mobile device out and about. For your partner, I'd recommend an iPad or MacBook.

4. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

You don't seem to be in a big hurry to purchase, so I would say wait. Wait to see if the iPad holds any surprises for you, wait for the Chrome netbook, wait for the MBP update. The whole playing field might change for you by then. Try 'em all, then decide.