Iphone or Ipod Touch for travelling abroad?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Edd23, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Edd23 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help. I am moving to Australia for 5 months and then living in Florida for a year. My current ipod is bust and I was thinking about either getting an iphone or an ipod touch.

I understand that the the iphone 3GS can't be jail broken at the moment, and am thinking about getting a jail broken iphone 3G. If I go that route, would the phone work in oz and the usa if I put a local provider's sim in the phone? Or will it lock the phone?

I know that the ipod touch access the internet but only by wifi...As I will be travelling a lot, I would rather be able to access the internet at any time. Any information on this would be appreciated - I don't want to spend £400 and be left with an expensive paperweight because the phone gets locked.

Cheers,

Edd

2. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

go the touch route as your not going to make residence permanent and you will get more storage for the $$$

3. mmulin macrumors 6502

You can software unlock a 3G and probably in the near future, albeit after OS 3.1 is released, also the 3GS.

If I am not mistaken, Australia sells the phones unlocked there but with contract. You might look into getting one there. Or, best scenario, get one in HK - still 3G only though. Sold w/o contract and unlocked from the factory.

4. Edd23 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's cracking, thanks a lot for the advice - greatly appreciated. As I'll be backpacking around oz, I really wanted to travel without my laptop, so wanted to sync either my iphone or ipod touch with my itunes before leaving.

I found a jailbroken iphone 3g on gumtree where i live - are there a lot of fake iphones out there? its 200 quid, so a bit on the cheap side. are there any obvious tell-tale signs of fake i-phones? Anything I should look for to show the i-phone is legit? I'm currently on a normal pay and go sim as well with o2 - how would that work with accessing the internet? Or would I just get a new sim from o2?

Also, can you remove the back of an iphone, like with a normal mobile phone? If I were to get a jail broken iphone, can i slip in sim cards for different countries? Again, any info would be great. I am aware that I may be asking stupid questions, but I'm a bit out of my depth and any help would be fantastic.

All the best,

Edd

5. mmulin macrumors 6502

mostly in china
    doesn't run iPhone OS but a disguised Windows Mobile or propriety OS. looks almost the same.
    don't buy it blind and use common sense, wtf.
    check you contract and O2 website for alternative contracts allowing data access
    no. but if it is the SIM you worried about, it sits in an accessible slot on top
    it needs to be unlocked not just jailbroken.
    please learn to use Google. all the info is out there and actually quite easily accessible. everyone has to climb some learning curve.. or pay someone to deliver it on a silver spoon to your doorstep ;)

if you have real problems, we will help you.

6. Edd23 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's perfect, thanks for all the help, really appreciated. I will go the itouch route as it will save me a load of cash up front and will definitely work abroad...then when i move to the states in jan i will get the iphone. Thanks again for all of your help.