iPhone or iPod Touch...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Koreos, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Koreos macrumors member

Hello everyone,

So I want an iPhone but... since I'm a student with a budget, I can't afford the AT&T plan. So if I get it, it would be unlocked with a "pay as you go" sim ($100 yearly). That is perfect, except that I won't have any data plan with it... I'm not sure it is worth that way... I would only have internet with Wifi hotspots then.

If it isn't worth, then my second option would be the iPod Touch. But then, I'd still have to carry my Nokia e65 around. I don't want to have to carry too many gadgets on me...

So that's it... what do you guys think it's the best?
    I will buy when the back to school promotion begins, so I'll take advantage of the free iPod Nano, or $150 off the iPod Touch... the new iPhone will most likely be out by then too....
    Thanks

2. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I woudl say iPod Touch. I ahve one now and I love it! All though the iPhone is all one gadget, you still would be able to get the $150 off this summer for the deal thingy like you stated. I say wait till this summer and see what you really want. If your not wiating get the touch.

3. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

hi

i'm in australia and bought both

i longed for an iPhone, and so jumped at the chance to get multi-touch when it was released

then i was carrying an iPod and a phone in the same pocket everywhere with me

so i finally cracked a week ago and bought an iPhone

haven't looked back (even though i don't use the internet despite a 300Mb data plan)

go iPhone

4. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I would just get the Touch it's not really worth it if you can't afford it is it?
    Get the Touch and a cheap cell phone.

5. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

Since you're worried about your budget, the iPod Touch seems like the best choice. All the fun multi-touch perks of an iPhone, but without the phone :/

6. asmallchild macrumors regular

i got the touch but i wish on a daily basis I had the iphone instead (i can't due to contractual reasons with another wireless company)

sigh

7. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

Just go for the iPod Touch. It would be better for your budget imo.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I had the touch until my contract expired with Verizon. I have the iPhone now and well...yeah....this is a dumb question to ask. The two devices in a pocket thing is really quite annoying.

9. Koreos thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies...
    But, is the iPhone worth it without a data plan?

10. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

if you don't have it pretty much kill the purpose of the phone.

11. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Sounds like the iPod Touch would be the best for you budget. To be honest, I don't think the iPhone would nearly as great to have unless you have the data plan. It really defeats the purpose of having one in my opinion.

However, whichever you decide to purchase will be great. Both are excellent devices.

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

really? I mean, the OP would still need to carry a phone around.

But I'd be scared my EGDE would get used my mistake somehow, not sure if you can disable EDGE on you're phone. You can ask AT&T to block all data to you phone though, but then you would be able to use EGDE if you had to check something, just in case.

Still I think I'd go for the iPod touch, but it would be close

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

there is an option to turn edge off with some of the jailbreak apps. iThink it depends on your music size and if you really want a camera.

14. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Just get the touch. That's what I did and I don't regret it at all. Its not a big deal to carry two devices and you'll get more storage for your money with the touch.

15. DarkRevenant macrumors member

The touch is so small and light that it won't be inconvenient to carry around. I carry my Voyager and my iPod touch wherever I go, and its absolutely no hassle at all. I probably would've opted for the iPhone if they sold them to verizon users, but I picked up the Voyager on my birthday and a touch for Christmas. Go for the touch, especially because you can almost always pick up a wifi signal in any developed area.

16. mark.herty macrumors newbie

I am in the same position here. I have been thinking about whether to buy the iphone or ipod touch for some time now. If i get the iphone i will be unlocking it and wont have a data plan. I will when the 3g version comes out be able to purchase an edge version from a family member. However the extra space on a touch would be handy. Can someone please help me making this decision.

What i really need to know is the iphone better than an ipod touch if you dont have a data plan?

17. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Since I don't send or make many calls, it was a no brainer for me to get the iPod touch. Sure it is a little cumbersome carrying two devices when I travel, but I stow my phone in my computer bag and the iPod touch is my side kick.

18. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

This depends on the amount of music and if you are going to buy the app kit. For me it was, I have the iPhone w/ the data plan, but I would have paid $100 for a camera and Mail on my Touch.