iphone or itouch?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macnewbie13, Apr 28, 2008.

1. macnewbie13 macrumors member

I have a dilemma, I dont know if I should buy an iPhone or a new cell phone and an iPod Touch. I am already an AT&T customer and I would only need to add the data package to my plan for an additional $20/month. My current phone I have had for 3 years and the charger doesn't work all the time and I just want a new phone. Also, I have never had an iPod, I've had a Dell MP3 player but it is now like 7 or 8 years old and the battery only holds a charge for like 10 minutes before it dies, so I can only use it if it is plugged in. I really want an iPod touch but my logic is that I need a new cell phone and an iPod, so why not pay the extra couple hundred to get the iPhone? What do you guys think, should I go for 2 separate things or just the one?

2. webiphonedesign macrumors newbie

3. mikelong622 macrumors 6502

4. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Go with the iPhone. It is more conveniant, and is made just for people like you (well, and others...). If you wanna (and are able to) wait till WWDC to see if there is something that fits your needs better you might wanna do that. Otherwise look at a 16GB phone, or whatever works for your musical needs. Great phone, get iPod. You'll feel better with the iPhone.

5. macnewbie13 thread starter macrumors member

yea Telp I was planning on waiting until after the WWDC just to make sure there isnt a new release, because i definitely will get the iPhone if it goes 3G. I've learned to wait because I bought my MBP after Macworld when there wasnt an upgrade but then in February they upgraded he specs so basically the high end Macbook is better than my MBP which made me so angry... so I'm definitely waiting...

6. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Well good. Lessson need not be learned twice. Wait, but definataly go iPhone, if you dont mind paying the monthly fee.

7. mark34 macrumors 6502a

I have the iPod Touch. A truly brilliant iPod and wifi surfing/wifi email device. With no phone and no access to non-wifi networks, it remains a very cool entertainment device.

If someone was violently anti-AT&T, the combination of an iPod Touch and a tiny tiny phone would be cool.

8. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I decided not to wait and bought one yesterday. Still not totally convinced that June will bring a new iPhone. I'm with Adam Christianson of the Maccast that they may announce one but I don't think it will hit the market until later. I'm going to think over the next 13 days whether I should return it and wait or just keep it. If the only major upgrade is 3G, I don't really care.

Telp are you aka Virtualball by any chance?

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

The trouble with the touch (I have one and like it) is that it's also missing Bluetooth, the camera, hardware volume control, and speakers.

The lack of speakers is painful when you're just trying to quickly show a family or other movie to someone. (I bought a tiny portable set that plug onto the bottom connector, but then you have to carry them around.)

Plus you have to pay for some software updates that the phone gets for "free".

OTOH, I won a refurbished 16GB touch for only $260 on eBay... which is pretty darned cheap. (There are several big sellers with these.)

10. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

Yeah what is an iTouch???????:rolleyes::mad:

But definitely get an iPhone!!!!!!!

11. macnewbie13 thread starter macrumors member

sorry about the iTouch, i've tried to go back and change it but it wont let me edit the title....

12. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I'm violently anti-AT&T, but I think I'll get an iPhone soon anyway (UNLOCK!!! :p)

13. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

I was thinking the same thing as you. I thought about it and for a little bit more you get a phone and a camera. One less thing to carry. I personally am waiting for my apple store to open up here in Charleston. ;)

14. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

so much nicer to have one device in your pocket...

i love it.. when a call comes in and im listening to ipod the music stops and call takes over... then once i end call music resumes, just perfect..

also when on train its much nicer to know you have one device in your pocket and not worrying about two things getting lost.

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Isn't the iPhone also a iPod Touch? Or is it just me? (I don't have the iPod Touch) :confused:

16. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

17. arnette macrumors 6502

arnette

I'm having the same debate. After learning of ATT prices (which I thought were already too high on the old iPhone plan), I'm now leaning towards getting a Touch instead of the iPhone.

But now sites are posting about the 'loophole' of buying an iPhone for $300 + $36 activation + $90 one-month service and canceling the contract for $175. That's about $600 bucks for an iPhone 16GB w/o a service plan vs. $400 for a Touch 16GB.

But is a camera, external speakers, volume buttons and 2 hrs better battery life worth $200? And perhaps the iPhone will be Jailbroken but that introduces an entire new set of problems (making sure it doesn't get bricked, keeping up with updates, etc.)

My work pays for my BB Pearl and I like not having a monthly mobile phone bill, but I want GPS, podcast video, and the internet in my pocket. Oh, the dilemma!

18. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

iPhone.

Or get an unlocked one off e-bay (or a locked one and j/b yourself), that way you'll have the iPod plus a second phone you can slot any second unlocked sim in at your leasure.

19. arnette macrumors 6502

arnette

Hmm... that does make sense to get a 1st gen iPhone unlocked. I won't go through ebay though. Been burned too many times.

I don't know enough about jailbroken phones though. Need to do some searching.

20. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

If you have the money to pay the high monthly data, then DEF get an iphone. If my deal with sprint wasn't so great, I'd jump to ATT & get the iphone without a doubt.
    But as it is, I'd be paying double per month for the same service.

21. timerollson macrumors 65816

I have an iPod Touch and it just makes me want the phone even more. It's a great device but it's annoying carrying both a phone (I'm on Verizon) and the iPod Touch at the same time.

With that said, I'm getting an iPhone next month once my contract is done. The convenience of having one device is really important to me.

:)

22. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I say definitely go for the iPhone. I have the iPod Touch and it works for me because I can't afford the iPhone cell phone plan. Honestly though, the iPhone being able to surf the web anywhere is like the icing on the cake. There are so many things that an iPod Touch is capable of, but once it's out of a wifi area it's just an iPod.

23. arnette macrumors 6502

arnette

You bastards ;)

You're not making this easy. I'm going to question my work to see if they'll reimburse my ATT bill. That way I'll ditch the Pearl and get an iPhone.

Thanks for the input! I really don't want a Touch... already have an iPod. It would just be a stopgap to the iPhone. I'm really most interested in the added connectivity through the cell network so I can use internet, maps, gps everywhere.

But everyone knows that already. Thanks for the input. I'm now back to leaning towards iPhone. If I can stomach the monthly bill.