iphone or itouch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Reem, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Reem macrumors member

Reem

Hey all, ;)

I really need your help. I am a MAC addict and I love anything to do with MAC. but unfortunately, when it came to a phone, I got a blackberry since I'm not a touch person. To be honest, i love using it but the fact that i cant sync to a MAC is driving me crazy !!! I have tried every single software (Missing sync/Pocket sync, etc) you name it. :(

So, now i came to a decision. i still want to use my BB for emails,bbm, etc. But i want a device to be able to sync my contacts and calendar. So, shall I go for an iphone or ipod touch?

Can you please advice?!!!! :confused:

2. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

Well, with the iPhone you're still going to need service to do this without physically connecting and syncing - which is, to say the least, tedious.
    Most of these features can be handled through the iPod Touch, if I am not mistaken... you can even set up email on it. It's only limitation is that it has to be connected via wifi to access it.
    I would go the iPod Touch route and save money since you wouldn't be using the phone anyway. Then, the only thing you miss is GPS and the Cam.

3. Reem thread starter macrumors member

Reem

Iphone vs itouch?

ian.maffett>>

i guess you're right. I am not willing to pay also for the service for IPHONE, since i am already paying for the BB. I do wish though that they include the CAM and GPS. It would make the itouch simply perfect.

Some qs,
    1. does the itouch have bluetooth?
    2. does it read, write arabic?
    3. how will I be able to transfer my contacts from my bb to the itouch?

4. iJules macrumors member

...well....here's my experience...

Ya know, I was in an identical conundrum months back, and I'll tell you what my conclusion was...

I was a loyal Verizon customer and locked in a contract.. but as a musician, I have been addicted to my iPod for years and years and years. When my 40GB click wheel black and white iPod finally lost it's ability to hold a charge, I took advantage and finally upgraded... about 7 months ago or so. I got the 32GB iTouch because I figured, same as you, I can keep the phone service I want, and still use my iPod.

I realized quickly that I was netsurfing and appstoring on my iPod and my Verizon phone was sitting collecting dust until text messages and phone calls were needed. The app on my Verizon phone that could ID songs over the radio was nice, but I'd have to email the results home just so I could buy them on iTunes later.

The little iTouch was like a crack sample the dealer gives you for free... you get a taste of what the iPhone offers without the monthly bill. When the 3GS came out, with the pricing it did and the GB offerings (and impending MMS capability), I decided to reduce my electronic devices by one. My situation is only different from your's in that I had a touch screen phone through Verizon which was inferior in it's touch technology to the iPod/iPhone. The auto correct works damn well.

If I were you, I might try out an iTouch for a while, but be prepared to get sucked in and have to return the iTouch or sell it once iPhone-itis sets in. It happens, and it sneaks up on you when it does!

5. iJules macrumors member

If you pay the $10 upgrade fee through iTunes, you can upgrade the iTouch to 3.0 software to enable bluetooth (it was free for iPhone users).

I dunno about the arabic, sorry.

Where are your contacts stored locally? You can sync your iTouch to the same program you sync your BB to for the most part.

6. sravana macrumors regular

I just looked at the language setting, and I don't see arabic as an option. I don't have 3.0, so I don't know if it's available there.

It does have the option of regional settings for arabic-speaking countries.

I would guess that it can display arabic webpages, but probably not emails?

I didn't want to spring for the iPhone because of the monthly :mad: and I'm not bothered by carrying around 2 gadgets. I love how easy it is to sync everything to the Mac (imagine that), and I don't think that I will be upgrading to an iPhone anytime soon.

7. LazarusLong macrumors newbie

Just went thru the same decision making

and ended up buying a used iPod Touch 1st gen. off of eBay. I don't really use a cellphone much any more and figure to the extent that I do need that ability I can use Skype. I'm very rarely in a situation where I don't have WiFi available to me so this works for me.

I'm going to be traveling for most of the month of September and don't want to take my MacBook with me, as I will be baggage limited (going on a cruise). The iTouch will give me email and Web access but I can't wait until September to see what's going to be announced. So I figured buy a first generation device on eBay, upgrade to OS 3 and then see what gets announced this Fall. I'm only into the 1st gen device for $140, and I figure that I can get that back in October if I decide to go for the new device. Meanwhile I've got the functionality that I need, am not paying for a voice/data plan that I don't want and if the new devices have something all that much better, I'm not so far into this dollarwise that I can't change course.

BTW, the 1st gen device I bought was still under warranty. Turned out to be important, as it arrived with the WiFi radio dead. My local Apple Store swapped it out for me and I was in business. Have the seller supply you with the serial number of the device before you commit to buy. You can then go to the Apple support page and check to insure that what you're buying still has some warranty left. Even if it's only a month or so, you've got the comfort of knowing you're covered.

8. liveccam macrumors newbie

I was intrigued by the capabilities of both the Iphone and Ipod Touch but just couldn't stomach a $2000 commitment to check out an Iphone. I already had cellular coverage anyway and it didn't make sense to duplicate that. Its true that with the Touch I have no 3G coverage but well over 90% of the time I'm within a wifi footprint anyway. I went with the Touch and have generally not been disappointed (except for 3.0). It does most of what I need to do and the original purchase price was the only expense.

9. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

That was exactly what happened to me! I ended up switching a few months ago and am glad I did :D

10. Captain Awesome macrumors regular

Get an iPhone. I went from Touch + Nokia 6200 to iPhone just so I have one less thing to carry. :cool:

11. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Keep in mind that it is very very rare for an iPod Touch first generation to still have warranty.
    To have warranty, the owner must've bought AppleCare, and forgot about it.
    Both are quite doubtful.

12. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

I have 3.0 and under settings > Languages there is one that looks like Arabic to me, I am just not sure. I compared it to what I see on CNN.com/arabic and it looks like it to me. With all the languages it does have (34), I'm betting it is Arabic.

Mike

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

14. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Also remember the processors in the 1st gen iTouch's are quite a bit slower
    than subsequent models.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Arabic is a keyboard option on the 3.0 iPod touch, see this.

16. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I would recommend getting the iPhone, I thought that I could deal with constantly carrying around two things...not so much. But your needs for an iPod Touch sem excessive.

17. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

QUICK QUESTION WITHOUT STARTING A NEW THREAD:

Do iPod Touch 2nd Gen and iPhone 3G/S have the same screen size?

Just simple Yes or No will do. Thanks! :)

18. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

Yes.

19. pik. macrumors 6502

pik.

i do have an iphone 3GS but i was wondering...

is there an app wich can connect the iTouch to a Nokia or else and push a call to the iTouch?
    :cool:

20. jakealdred macrumors member

jakealdred

21. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

It's a financial decision:

1. Get the iphone if you can afford it.
    2. If not, get the ipod touch.