iPhone or Macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Xzavier, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Xzavier macrumors newbie

For my graduation my parents are giving me a choice of either a Black mac book (my dad is waiting to see if the macbook slim comes out on the 11th) or an iPhone. I already have a iBook G4...if i didnt have that i would go for the macbook all the way...i think its a hard choice, but that may be just me, what do you guys think?

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

MacBook. No question. Sell the iBook G4 and you might get enough (or half or more) to also buy an iPhone.

3. eyebeaz macrumors 6502

4. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Get both :rolleyes:
    Just kidding, get the MacBook. The iPhone is still a great product but getting a MacBook will be better than getting an iPhone.

5. Xzavier thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont need either of them and thats why i dont know which one to get...the only thing i run on my iBook is email, internet and IM. And the iPhone would be fun to fool around with. But yea the macbook would be better in the long time...but iphone would be awsome with the touch screen...i guess im just being childish =p

6. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Do you actually need a mobile phone?

7. TimJim macrumors 6502a

get the macbook, sell your G4, and save up for the iPhone, then youll have both ;)

8. Xzavier thread starter macrumors newbie

I broke my last one...so yea and no. I need a cell phone, i dont need a 600 dollar one =)

9. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Yeah just get the MacBook and get an iPhone some time in the future if you want to.

10. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

get the iPhone instead.

if you can do internet and mail and calendar itunes, etc., why do you need a macbook. i figure you can do just about anything you want on the internet that you can with a macbook -- including word processing etc. send my files to an FTP like xdrive.

i can't imagine not being able to send things to a BT printer from it, when you need to.

i'm getting an iPhone and if all works well, i might sell my macbook! especially if there's a revB that has external monitor support.

11. dodong macrumors member

dodong

Just what I'm also thinking when I read the thread.

12. mms macrumors 6502a

That sounds overly optimistic to me. Not to burst your bubble but I'm pretty sure the iPhone is not meant to REPLACE a laptop.

13. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

not for everybody, but a great portion of what i do is online anyway.

and if you can get on MacRumors, what more would you want!

14. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

macbook no doubt....iPhone is cool...but macbook is cooler...and more useful

15. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

for the price of a black macbook ($1399 assuming edu discount), i would see if i could get a $599 iphone with a refurb $799 core duo macbook (white). it works out to be the same price. my other solution would be to get the black macbook with the ipod (edu promo). sell the ibook and the nano. scrounge up a few dollars here or there (get a job?), and you're well on you way to buying an iphone.

16. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

iPhone is cooler -- and geekier and just as useful in a lot of situations.

maybe more useful is some arenas -- i don't want to slam the macbook against my ear when it rings from my gf

17. doctor pangloss macrumors regular

Macbook of course.
    If you need a phone just buy a pay as you go t-mobile nokia for $80.00 including sim card.

18. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I didn't even think about the free iPod promo. An unopened Nano would fetch a good price. Between that and the iBook, I think he'd be most of the way there.