Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dougieskins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2008
I managed to install os3.0 beta's 1, 2 and 3, and my UDID is on a developers list, but when I try and upgrade to the beta 5 (as beta 3 has expired now,) I get an error message (-10) about half way through the installation.

So now nothing is installed on it, and I have tried just updating to the beta 4, same error message, and I have tried downgrading to os 2.2.1, but get a different error message (i think its 1013or1016), so my iphone is completely unusable, I can't do anything with it!

I've tried putting it in DFU mode, but it just WON'T WORK! Sometimes the iphone connects after putting it into DFU mode, but it just restarts and goes back to normal, or I get an error message (can't remember what).

Please please please can someone help, I literally can't use my iphone at all and I really need it!

Any help would be much appreciated.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
I managed to install os3.0 beta's 1, 2 and 3, and my UDID is on a developers list, but when I try and upgrade to the beta 5 (as beta 3 has expired now,) I get an error message (-10) about half way through the installation.

So now nothing is installed on it, and I have tried just updating to the beta 4, same error message, and I have tried downgrading to os 2.2.1, but get a different error message (i think its 1013or1016), so my iphone is completely unusable, I can't do anything with it!

I've tried putting it in DFU mode, but it just WON'T WORK! Sometimes the iphone connects after putting it into DFU mode, but it just restarts and goes back to normal, or I get an error message (can't remember what).

Please please please can someone help, I literally can't use my iphone at all and I really need it!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ok, apologies if I sound snarky, but apple itself says to never use a production phone for development, especially with a Beta release.

What did Apple say when you contacted them about this issue in Beta 5? Were they not able to assist? At minimum I would say they should be able to provide some assistance since you are a registered developer and even registered that phone's UUID.

If none of the above works, have you tried restoring to a stock production firmware yet?

dougieskins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2008
Ok, apologies if I sound snarky, but apple itself says to never use a production phone for development, especially with a Beta release.

What did Apple say when you contacted them about this issue in Beta 5? Were they not able to assist? At minimum I would say they should be able to provide some assistance since you are a registered developer and even registered that phone's UUID.

If none of the above works, have you tried restoring to a stock production firmware yet?

Thanks for the reply,

Yeh I know they said that and I was an absolute idiot to install it, was just really intrigued as to what it would be like.

I haven't contacted apple yet, what is the best way to do this?
Nah haven't tried restoring to a stock production firmware (guess you mean original os 2). How do I do this? As I said I've tried restoring to 2.2.1 os but to no avail.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Thanks for the reply,

Yeh I know they said that and I was an absolute idiot to install it, was just really intrigued as to what it would be like.

I haven't contacted apple yet, what is the best way to do this?
Nah haven't tried restoring to a stock production firmware (guess you mean original os 2). How do I do this? As I said I've tried restoring to 2.2.1 os but to no avail.

A quick Google search seems to lead me that the issue is with iTunes. Can you downgrade the beta version you downloaded to a "normal" iTunes version? If not, what about these steps from Apple? http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275

dougieskins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2008
A quick Google search seems to lead me that the issue is with iTunes. Can you downgrade the beta version you downloaded to a "normal" iTunes version? If not, what about these steps from Apple? http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275

No i tried with a the normal updated itunes first, but had the exact same error when I upgraded to the beta. I've tried restoring in DFU mode loads now, and I seem to get a different error each time, I've had 1603, 1604 and 1611.

Yeh I've tried those steps on the apple website, but they haven't helped at all.
Note: my iphone seems to be in "recovery" mode only which I forgot to say, ever since I first tried to upgrade to the beta 5.

Anyone else have any suggestions??

TheRiseofTheFal

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
Lexington
i had errors when i repeatedly tried to option+ UPDATE instead of option+ restore. I know I could be way off but something as simple as that helped me out, when I was racking my brain over what could be going wrong just an idea!!

richiegecko

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2009

First, it is completely ridiculous to expect every developer, especially independent developers, to purchase additional iPhones for the sole purpose of testing.

Second, does it really matter to you whether the phone in question is meant for personal use or testing? The phone has to be fixed either way.

richiegecko

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2009
No i tried with a the normal updated itunes first, but had the exact same error when I upgraded to the beta. I've tried restoring in DFU mode loads now, and I seem to get a different error each time, I've had 1603, 1604 and 1611.

Yeh I've tried those steps on the apple website, but they haven't helped at all.
Note: my iphone seems to be in "recovery" mode only which I forgot to say, ever since I first tried to upgrade to the beta 5.

Anyone else have any suggestions??

This guy's solution worked for me:
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/7304326/

Figbash Acrobat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Alphaville
Try using iTunes 8.1

I had an error 6 when attempting to install beta 4. My phone was also stuck in recovery mode. I just removed the iTunes 8.2 app from the applications folder, re-installed 8.1, and again tried restoring to beta firmware. It worked, so then I just finished activation with 8.2. Give it a shot. If still in recovery maybe try using the first iTunes 8.2 beta (10) for the initial restore, in DFU if necessary. However, I had no issues with beta 5 using the shift/option UPDATE method to install.

socrates111

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2009
I had installed 3.0 successfully but then almost instantly it crashed deleting all the software. Now its in the same screen as when you first buy it saying connect to itunes. I tried to restore but got error (1604). i think this is because there's no software to extract. It is completely unusable??

richdog1414

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2009
I found a fix!!

I was having the same issue with the previous beta expiring and was getting the same errors. I was getting so frustrated and kept trying on my cpu and got nowhere. I decided to go use my friends cpu and try it. I put the itunes 8.2 and the beta 5 on a flash drive and plugged it into his cpu and installed it and it worked. It must have been my cpu or something. You can try this and see if it works for you. The only thing you need to make sure is that you dont try to use a cpu with vista on it. Once you plug your iphone into the cpu it will ask you to install the driver for the iphone becuse its in the dfu mode. So make sure to use a cpu with xp on it instead otherwise its a pain.

good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.