iPhone OS 3.0 Dock Use Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Excellerator, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

Does anyone who has the beta version of iPhone OS 3.0 know if you can control the next/previous buttons on stereo equipment while NOT in the iPod app? I currently have a portable stereo for the iPhone but the next/previous buttons only work with the iPod app and not in Simplify Media, Pandora, etc. This is annoying to me. Same thing when using my Monster Cable iPod charger for my car, its buttons only work with the iPod app and nothing else. I hope Apple fixes this and allows all apps to use this feature.

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

The app would have to be written to work with them. Prior to 3.0 apps were not able to communicate with dock connector devices. In 3.0 they can. HOWEVER, from the documentation provided so far, it appears that each app needs it's own accessory, and these accessories all have to go through the "Made For iPod" program, which isn't cheap.

3. Excellerator thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the information. I was hoping the new 3.0 SDK had a way to control the buttons through the dock the same as the iPod app would.

4. phoenixdude24 macrumors member

aren't developers not able to release apps that use the 3.0sdk? So any apps that support this feature wont be out until the final release of 3.0

5. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Is this true?
    So it's not possible for a developer to create an open-source video game controller, for instance, and allow other developers to develop for it? That seems stupid.