iPhone OS 3.0 --> iPod Touch with GPS and more...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DCBass, Mar 18, 2009.

1. DCBass macrumors 6502

It seems to me that the 3.0 OS points to a few things in the next iPod touch. Mostly because of the several APIs newly available to developers. There would be too many great programs that would take advantage of these for Apple to leave out the iPod touch, which makes up roughly 40% of the iPhone OS sales.

1. GPS. For turn-by-turn direction apps, developers need to sell map packs anyway. It seems natural that the next iPod touch would be a good candidate for this.

2. Microphone. Voice Memo app.

3. Camera. Because I still want a nice little camera anyway =P. Especially one that I can geotag with GPS.

Thoughts? Anything else they might include in addition or instead? I really don't believe that they'll leave it the way it is with all the new OS improvements.

Cheers,

DCBass

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

All of these things were mentioned with the release of 2.0 and the iPhone 3G a few months later, and alas, none of them came into effect.

3. who? macrumors member

I don't know about everyone else, but the Voice Memo app isn't on my iPod touch 2G running the 3.0 beta! Looks like that's iPhone only :mad:

It would seem that Apple is steering people away from using microphones on the touch, not promoting and/or integrating one in the next model. Sorry.

Camera also seems like a big no-no, if only because of the added bulk (it isn't exactly a tiny chip they can just fit in there).

As far as GPS goes, I'd put my money on that feature as most likely of the three, it seems like something the touch would be great with. It would, however, require either locally saved maps or Wi-Fi to load up the location on a map, so it wouldn't be very convenient to use in comparison with the iPhone + 3G data service.

4. DCBass thread starter macrumors 6502

True that on the GPS, but I would think that TomTom and Garmin will be selling their own apps with their own maps, as apple requires.

No reason this wouldn't be great on an iPod touch with GPS. Better than iPhone even... I don't want my GPS to be interrupted by calls.

5. who? macrumors member

It's possible, but keep in mind the size of even medium sized maps would be enormous, and you will understand why I would be reluctant to install them on my touch (even just a local area map would be at least 100 megs w/satellite view).

On the another note, there is a feature in 3.0 for connecting to mobileme and broadcasting/sending your iPod's location to you, and the GPS could still work for geotagging photos, which would be interesting, to say the least.

6. DCBass thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I was forgetting!

Why would Apple bother making a "find iPod touch" through Mobile Me if it didn't have GPS? Without it, the feature almost seems silly to just rely upon wifi networks, while having it be connected to a wifi network at the time.

Of course, it would have to be connected to a wifi network to be found at all, regardless of GPS....

Whatever, I'm still crossing my fingers.

7. who? macrumors member

Not really, many GPS devices can be found without internet connections. I'm a little vague on details, but from what I understand, MobileMe could contact the satellite and ask where that particular GPS (identified by a serial number of some kind) has been last determined to be, no internet required (on the touch at least).

Through that process MobileMe could get the raw text coordinates and place them on a map for you to view, bingo bango, no?

8. DCBass thread starter macrumors 6502

It's my understanding that GPS devices are somewhat "stupid". In that, GPS satellites send a regular barrage of signals down to Earth. GPS devices simply detect the signals from these satellites and can determine where they are from there. The GPS device itself does not send any data back to the satellite. It's a one-way communication.

So no, unless the touch is connected to the internet, MobileMe will not be able to tell where it is.

The only way this locate me function would be useful is if it would allow a delayed, notification response. Really, this would only happen if someone stole your touch and then got on the internet.

Hmm... unless we had free 3G access built into the price like the Kindle???

Nah....

- DCBass

9. Liam8 macrumors 6502

Liam8

I agree

I completely agree I want especially a microphone on the new ipod touches. A camera with Geo tagging would be nice to.:apple: I am waiting for an update to the ipod touch before I buy a new one.:cool:

10. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

In any event, because app vendors are now allowed to interface with accessories via the dock connector, it's only a matter of time until an official app is released that can interface with a full-fledged GPS-receiving accessory.

11. saberahul macrumors 68040

Whoa, can someone confirm that the voice memo app is NOT on the iPod Touch?