iPhone OS 3.0 ... out of date?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Californian, Jun 24, 2009.

1. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I can guarantee you that there are plenty of heated people reading this first sentence.
    So I must preface this by saying that I love my 3G, I think the OS is simplistic in it's beauty, and the complete user experience with syncing, and applications makes the iPhone unbeatable, but...

By chance while checking out some of the "Most Viewed" videos on my YouTube app I saw this video which made me think two things. First, "Wow, that's pretty" and secondly "I wonder if and when Apple will make a complete change to the iPhone OS?" Because from a non-Apple persons view I could see the stronger draw to the HTC.

Now I've been a Mac user for years, and even the "Major" Mac OS changes have been more performace and functionality oriented than cosmetic oriented, which is a good thing, but I think cell phones are different... and quite possibly need complete OS revamps to stay on top.

What do you think?

Discuss amongst yourselves. Haha

2. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

It seems like that's what 4.0 might bring next year, it'd be the perfect time for a major release like that. I'm sure Apple is already working on a new user interface, but it takes a while to get it right and really innovate.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I could care less for cosmetic changes and visual effects.
    As long as its user friendly and easy to use like it is now.

4. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

5. FunkyMonkey macrumors 6502

You know what does need a cosmetic upgrade? MacRumors!

6. Tres macrumors regular

Cosmetically I think the iPhone looks fine, to be honest a lot of those HTC phone animations are just pure wank and add nothing to the phone itself.

What they do need to work on is how the homescreen is arranged, having so many screens of apps is just a mess. Spotlight makes it easier to find apps but it does nothing about the clutter.

They also need to do something about making certain settings easier to access. I shouldn't have to dig 2 or 3 layers deep into the settings app to turn bluetooth/wifi on or off for example.

7. icurbyou macrumors newbie

Coming from a graphic designer.... I said no. I have had the iPhone 3G since it's launch date 7/11/08. If people are tired of this design after 1 year they are insane. If they are 2G owners tired of it after 2 years they are very bored people (just my opinion).

I enjoy "change" in my life but not that much. I want a phone that I am used to. Something I can quickly and efficiently get used to and get in the habit of. If I had to deal with learning a new OS design every year I would be greatly annoyed.

Maybe slow subtle changes over time would be okay with me but a whole new design of OS. No way.

SKINS? Sure. If they want to over a few OS designs and skins that would be fine with me. I personally would stick with the ol' CLASSIC :)

8. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Change for the sake of change, no. Changes that improve the actual functioning or "feedback" of the iPhone OS, sure. Most of iPhone's animations are very subtle and serve a purpose, like conveying that you are moving deeper into or backing out of a menu system, or that you closed a view or opened a new view.

That HTC just looked flashy, but I haven't used it.

9. Miamifan1354 macrumors member

Let me just say that I've owned many HTC phones, although not an android phone, and they all say they will do neeto things like that. Problem is, they never do. My fuze is supposed to have this amazing touch flow technology, but I can't get the screen to align correctly, the keys are too small to conformably type on screen (slide out keyboard is nice though), and there are wayyyyyyy to many times where the whole thing just freezes up. When I need to do something quickly, I pick up my girlfriends 3g because I know it will work, where my fuze may hang, or even crash before I get directions or something along those lines.

10. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Next years iPhone is going to be huge, you can bet on it. There was a reason this one only had mild changes and only done to the inside of the phone. I have a feeling next year is going to be incredible. 64GB hard drive, 512 ram, new design etc.

11. applecheese macrumors member

whoever their icon designer is needs to be fired.

12. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

i have a feeling Apple will overhaul some UI next major software update.

I think the notification system is very stale. Just a blue box with a view or close option, no way to respond to an im from the notification. The Pre's way of doing notification updates like IMs or txts is vastly superior.

13. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

mild changes? better in every single way actually. And not very close either if you really look at it. You say next year will be incredible, but you mention 64gb and 512 ram. This update doubles the capacity and the ram, so how is this not as 'incredible'

14. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

Seems like people are split down the middle on this, that seems interesting.

15. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Next year's iPhone will read your mind and answer any phone calls itself. This will leave you clear to play Bejeweled most of the time.