Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmoran27

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
This update sucks literally the life out of the battery. My phone has to be recharged 3 times a day now. Before it would last at least 24 hours before a charge.

Anyone else have this problem?

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A238j Safari/525.20)

No. Same or better than 2.2.1.

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
It could be very likely that they're running some kind of debug service all the time which is sending enhanced crash reports and other info to apple during the beta phase... they'll probably have some extra debug code in the software too.

Babybandit

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Mine actually increased. I was playing Fieldrunners all day (well... 4 hours) when I noticed by battery bar only dropped 20%, I've been timing since I found that out... Seems weird...

Spyt3

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2008
same here.

considering how much i've been playing with it, it seems the same.
judged by the overall sluggishness, i would say that the processor has a little more bogging it down, meaning it's sucking more power.
But it doesn't seem significantly more draining than 2.2.1
How old is your iPhone?

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
At first I thought it was worse! But it turns out it's not worse. It's the same as 2.2.1 for me on my iPhone 2G.

AnDi86

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2007
Ballymoney N.Ireland
Mine has been fine, if not better, but today the battery has got down to the 10 percent warning and i took it out of the charger this morning!

Also a point to note is that the iphone itself was rather hot to the touch! Like a little hand warmer!

Anyone else experienced the hotness of the phone?

Redline13

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
So you have installed a "not ready for prime time" OS on your phone and have found it's not optimized for everyday use? I am shocked.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
It sucks cause you are screwing with more now figuring out new crap. It's mental.

kman79

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
Last night was the first night that I had to work (Night shift at the Hospital), and I noticed that my batter had died by 3AM coming from a full charge at 5PM the previous day. This is definitely a lot shorter than my normal half charge left by the time I get home from work before the iPhone 3.0 update. Our floor is notorious for having poor signal, much worse than other floors in the Hospital. I also noticed that it would not pick up a Signal over Edge where it normally would before the update, but after turning on 3G, I actually had signal and was able to make and receive calls/text. I'm quite sure having it on 3G the whole night is what killed the battery so fast, but I've gone more than 12 hours on 3G at work before the update, and the phone still had charge by the time I got home.

So I definitely am in the same boat as the OP. I'll be reporting it to the ADC Bug report after I get some sleep.

kman79

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
that's because its beta fool. :rolleyes:

REALLY!? :rolleyes:

I was merely confirming with the OP that there are others who are experiencing the same issues. I'm quite sure the majority of the people who have the 3.0 BETA on their phone knows what a Beta is.

If anything good is to come out of the Beta, I ask that those that do have it, please report any bugs or feedback to ADC Developer Bug Reporter

imfrog2002

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2007
It's almost the same as "jailbreaking causes your battery to go down" you're playing with new features, having your screen on all the time. If you're used to having the screen off 90% of the time, yeah the battery is going to go down if you're using it constantly. Wait a few weeks and see if your battery life is down after the "OMGitslikeNEWOnG1!11!!!1" factor (that happens to EVERYONE after a cool update) wears off. It'll probably be close to the same. ;) (I don't have 3.0 yet, so I can't confirm, though.)

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
This update sucks literally the life out of the battery. My phone has to be recharged 3 times a day now. Before it would last at least 24 hours before a charge.

Anyone else have this problem?

Maybe you are just spending more time using it trying the update...

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
My battery life is significantly better, actually. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that I'm not jailbroken anymore. I'm not on Cydia every couple hours checking for new releases, downloading, installing, respringing, uninstalling, etc.

I'm now at 2 hrs, 10 mins usage and 20 hrs, 23 mins standby. Waaaaay longer than I could get before.

cparkphoto

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
My battery was horrible the first day. When i say horrible i mean 50% or what i was used to. However, after a full drain and recharge i swear the battery life is far far superior to what it has ever been! I used it all day yesterday and was constantly reloading a site on 3g to check NCAA scores and the lowest it got to was 60%. Stoked! haha. this of course could all just be a bit of a placebo effect cause i swear safari is "snappier" as well. haha

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
beta 2, not really

Attachments

• IMG_0051.PNG
    IMG_0051.PNG
    43.6 KB · Views: 80
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.