iPhone OS 3 restore on OS 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by healthyfatboy, Jun 6, 2010.

1. healthyfatboy macrumors member

So, I sold my iPhone last week in anticipation of the new one coming out soon and did a backup before I sold it off. When I get my new phone in the coming weeks, will I be able to do a restore in OS 4 from the backup I just did a week ago and still have all the saved app data and other items I had on the phone or will I need to start over from scratch?

2. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

3. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

Depends. For the last two switches, people have said you can restore from a backup as long as you go into the settings and reset the network settings afterwards. Maybe reset the phone settings too (though, obviously not erase all data, just reset all settings).

4. healthyfatboy thread starter macrumors member

Great! Thanks for the replies. I'll try it all out when I get the new phone.

5. Gamst macrumors regular

Gamst

I was wondering this, obviously a fresh install should be the best idea, but is there any evidence to suggest that installing the new OS and then restoring from backup would have a detrimental effect on performance? I really would rather not lose all my save games etc.

Surely if it risked having a bad effect, Apple would not allow it or at least warn you?