iPhone OS 4.0 beta 4 HOW COOL...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by propynyl, May 26, 2010.

1. propynyl macrumors regular

I'm loving 4.0 beta 4, it's extremely stable, more or less RC.

But I think Apple is missing a great opportunity. In the new Task Manager Switcher Dock, instead of app icons, you should see small thumbnails of the apps "saved state." Apps that don't have a saved state, or aren't 4.0 compatible should be an app icon.

IMO, this is a no brainer?? Would be way more useful.

2. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Well maby they never thought of it and it would be another "Api" for multitasking they would have to add. But there just might be more betas because even thou wwdc is on the 7th but the new iPhone release date is unknown so they might just add ur idea u kneeler know.

3. Moomba macrumors regular

Could it be done? Certainly, however I fail to see the point when it would require more system resources/memory to do that vs simply pulling up the 57x57 pixel icon PNG file. Creating a screenshot, resizing, and re-sampling would take more system resources. Apps are time limited when shutting down/minimizing and if it doesn't release the memory in time it is forcibly quit. Perhaps in future devices when their system specs more closely rival laptops. Till then I'm perfectly fine with static icons.

Also brings to mind another potential issue with dynamic icons. Legibility. An icon that can change dramatically from one time to the next would take longer to discern what is what.

4. NorrisKillsKids macrumors 6502a

A thumbnail of the app is a lot worse and a lot less practical than the icon of the app itself. So many thumbnails could look alike. It's just unnecessary.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Don't let Jobs here you call it a task manger, he'll have a cow. :p

6. stezza333 macrumors regular

Totally agree with this. More usefull IMO :D

EDIT: Pics attacted

Attached Files:

7. speed12 macrumors regular

Although I don't think it's necessary, I have to admit that does look quite cool!

Would sort of make it fit in a bit more with Expose on Macs....sort of......

I think with how it has been implemented though, the screnshot would be so tiny that it would actually make it more difficult than the icon. But the idea does have potential definitely!

8. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

How often do I use the thumbnails on the "task bar/dock" on my windows 7 computers... never, just look at the thumbnail for this page, it is 100% unreadable, and many webpages when scaled to that size look exactly the same.

9. kayno macrumors regular

kayno

you sir are a wise man.. I use proswitcher and infinidock to duplicate the icons system in 4.0 and to be honest I prefer the icons to the cards.. cause with the cards I have to actually look to see what card i want.. With the icons you just see the icon you want and tap on it.. I have the icons that I would most likely multitask with on the infinidock.. and proswitcher just makes them available..

Attached Files:

10. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

should see beta 5 this tuesday going by all 4 betas so far

11. jbennardo macrumors 6502a

jbennardo

Looking forward to it. Been using beta 4 on my everyday phone since it was launched and it's been very smooth.