iPhone OS 4.0 Release Date??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by radiokilla84, May 19, 2010.

1. radiokilla84 macrumors newbie

radiokilla84

is it some time in June? maybe June 7th? @ WWC,
    when was 3.0 release? anyone with answer!

and im sorry if there is a thread about this, but im lazy to look.
    if not then im good :)

2. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Nobody knows. All we know is that it will be announced on the 7th. If anyone answers you they are just speculating.

3. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

OS 3.0 was released 9 days after the new phone was announced at the WWDC, two days before the 3GS was released. 4.0 will probably also be released on a Wednesday.
    Keynote was Monday, June 8th
    3.0 released Wednesday, June 17th
    3GS on sale Friday, June 19th

I hope they release the phone first, then the OS 5 days later, the following Wednesday. It'll help relieve the activation servers for people picking up their new phones. I remember hearing stories of people having problems with the in-store activation of their 3GS, and that was still 2 days after the new OS was released. I know it was mostly due to all of the new phones getting activated, but part of it was people updating.
    (After installing new software, the phone must be activated again through Apple's servers, the same ones that are used to activate new phones)

4. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

August 19, 2011. And yes, I'm lying, that's my wedding

5. antster94 macrumors 6502a

antster94

When will OS 4.0 be available to download?

Hey guys,

Do the OSs that are annouced at WWDC come out on that day or is it usually about a week or however long after? Really looking forward to be able to multitask etc, just want to know it's gonna be out anytime soon.

Thanks

6. slider5634 macrumors newbie

It'll be interesting to see. It really hasn't happened at the same time every year, but it will most likely be after the next iPhone is released. Don't look for it to be on the same day though.

7. jbennardo macrumors 6502a

jbennardo

I'm running the beta and it's very nice - however none of it makes much difference until the apps are written/updated to support multitasking. Let's hope that all happens soon.

8. jtara macrumors 65816

Kinda irrelevant, since 4.0 has already been announced.

Typically, they become available several months after they have been announced. They are typically available (first beta) to developers the day of announcement, and that was the case with 4.0.

If the new iPhone ships with 4.0 installed (I am assuming that), I would expect 4.0 to be available for download by the public to older devices at the time the new iPhone ships.

I think the question you really want to ask is when the new phone typically ships after the announcement. Of course, it's only going to be a guess. But, typically, Apple doesn't disappoint in this regard. There's usually a lot of hand-wringing, but, then.... BAM! ;)

9. jbennardo macrumors 6502a

jbennardo

I'm curious if the Gizomodo incident and the release of the EVO are going to change the timetables at all - probably not, Apple always seems to do things on their own schedule.

Still, we'll know after Monday - speculation will be put to rest (for at least another few months) :p

10. antster94 macrumors 6502a

antster94

Thanks for the replys, guess I'll just have to wait and see then :p

@jtara, I don't really care when the new phone ships as I for one will not be buying it. It's not miles better than my 3GS, yes the screen is going to be amazing, and it's gonna have a better camera (don't need that as I never really use a phone for photography as I have an SLR), a front facing camera which IMO is pointless (who actually video calls people? and the person on the receiving end also needs a phone with video calling + it's expensive to video call) and maybe a faster processor. Also, I have a rule that I will only buy every other generation of the phone (ie. 2G then 3GS then the 2011 handset).

11. azsprty macrumors 6502

I was wondering that myself. They do have to admit though it does put pressure on them to not only get it out but to make it top of the line to compete

12. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

Several rumors have said that Apple is targeting the new iPhone to be released very shortly after or during WWDC, so it shouldn't be very much longer.

It's standard practice though for the download to be available the same day the new hardware releases and there is no evidence that will change for this release.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

That's what I'm expecting.

So you can refer to all the "When is the new iPhone coming out?" threads. Whatever they're guessing will apply to the new OS as well.

14. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

There is evidence in the betas that iChat will be part of 4.0 across all models that get it. It seems that you will probably be able to accept a video call if you're on a 3G or 3GS, the other person just can't see you.

How do you know how much video calling for the next iPhone will cost? Do you work for AT&T? Even if there is a 3G charge, the iChat client will work over wifi, so you won't be charged for video chat over wifi.

Not maybe, definitely a faster processor.

I like your rule on buying every other generation, since, you know, it's not like that's what almost everyone is doing as that's how Apple and AT&T have it set up.

15. jtara macrumors 65816

You should, since that's likely when 4.0 will ship as well. ;)

Yea, I wouldn't get the new one if I had a 3GS. I have a 3G. You'll probably get LTE/4G on your next model. :)

16. antster94 macrumors 6502a

antster94

Thanks for informing me that it is more than likely to be released with the next iPhone, cleared that up for me.

And jtara yes I know that most people do that but I was simply stating that to show that I don't care about the new hardware, but now that I know it is coming out with the 4.0 software I retract that comment I made about not caring about when it comes out.

17. AMcBroom81 macrumors regular

AMcBroom81

It will be available when Apple says " and it is available today for download on the iPhone 3G and 3GS for free, and $9.99 for iPod touch users" ;)

18. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

i also would like to see when the developers get the public release, im on beta 4 and beta 5 wasn't out yesterday so i wonder when we will get it if there is one. also i want to see if we get the preview of the os 4 for Ipad and if the devs get the beta for that sometime after wwdc.

19. jbennardo macrumors 6502a

jbennardo

This is my first cycle as a developer and hadn't really paid attention to the previous OS/beta releases. I found it peculiar that a new beta wasn't released yesterday considering recent history - and I have no idea what that means for the official release date. They've gotta be close though because beta 4 is pretty smooth IMHO.

20. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

21. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Best answer yet, you win!

22. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Don't know why, but this made me LMAO!!!! I think we will see 4.0 a couple of days prior to the new iPhone. I believe the new iPhone will ship with 3.0 though and then we will have to upgrade.

23. otis123 macrumors 6502a

It will be out after the keynote like 3.0. If you can find the Gold master on the 7th, you have 4.0.

24. elephunkman macrumors 65816

I believe 3.0 was released to the public a bit before the iPhone release last year.

25. nutmac macrumors 68040

Since AT&T sales staff are not allowed to take a vacation on June 21 (with only with special permission), I would say June 21.