Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

131848-expose_icon.jpg

AppleInsider offers some details on multitasking in iPhone OS 4.0, which would allow users greater ability to run multiple apps at a time and easily switch between them. According to the report, multitasking on iPhone OS 4.0 will utilize an interface similar to the Exposé function found in Mac OS X.
Those familiar with the design of iPhone 4.0 said that the user interface will resemble Apple's desktop Expose feature, in that a key combination -- reportedly hitting the Home button twice -- will trigger an expose-like interface that brings up a series of icons representing the currently running apps, allowing users to quickly select the one they want to switch to directly. When a selection is made, the iPhone OS zooms out of the Expose task manager and transitions to that app.
While Apple currently offers limited multitasking for apps that ship with the iPhone operating system, it has yet to implement true multitasking for all applications despite it being one of the highest profile requests from users. Apple developed a workaround with Push Notifications, launched last June, which allow applications that are not currently running to serve alerts to users via a remote server.

Talk of true multitasking in iPhone OS 4.0 surfaced in the weeks leading up to the iPad media event in late January as some observers expected the updated operating system to be demoed there. Additional claims arrived earlier this month, and Daring Fireball's John Gruber also hinted earlier this week at the capability for iPhone OS 4.0.

Today's report also notes two other features that have reportedly been observed in iPhone OS 4.0: a "global mailbox view" and the ability to place individual contacts to the device's home screen. Neither of these advancements are a particular surprise, however, as Apple CEO Steve Jobs himself recently claimed that a universal inbox is under development, and a patent application published in January revealed Apple's interest in adding contacts to the home screen.

Article Link: iPhone OS 4.0 to Bring Exposé-like Multitasking?

Data

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2006
I love it , bring it on, the sooner the better, finaly taking calls while using navigon in the car ;-).

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Hot damn! So like in lectures I can flip back and forward between PDF's and the Pages app?

Come on Apple, I've got my parents CC waiting on the pricing to be released in Australia!

Enuratique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
Intriguing...

This may be enough to get me to upgrade from 3.0.1 and lose tethering in the process. Don't know if I'm willing to part with that functionality as I was able to have a mobile office on an 8 hour road trip recently. I'm used to only running one app at a time at this point.

Come on AT&T, open up tethering already, you assholes.

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
And all of a sudden, the iPad makes more sense :cool:

Only question is how to evoke - press and hold the home button?

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Just what the Home Button needs; double clicking. They're flimsy enough already! :rolleyes:

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
This makes me both happy and sad...

Happy that I'll have the ability to run multiple apps at the same time.

Sad that developers might become somewhat lazy in their programming that could result in a greatly reduced battery life. It might not have been the perfect solution to all but force developers to rethink their app to make use of them if they wanted an 'always on' feature... It was clearly a big win for the devices battery life.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
And all of a sudden, the iPad makes more sense :cool:

Only question is how to evoke - press and hold the home button?

SBSettings (jailbreak) on an iPhone uses a swipe across the menu bar to invoke from anywhere- maybe something to that effect.

Alisstar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Orlando, FL
I'm not complaining about the Push Notification system, but I wonder if Apple is adding this to iPhone OS to kill Push Notifications for good. I also wonder if multi-tasking will be of better use with a slightly larger screen. Maybe the current size will do, who knows.

Elzlaik

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2008
I understand the use of app icons for expose on the iPhone since there isn't much space, but I hope iPad will show cards like mobile safari.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Remember the blank key on the keyboard dock for the ipad? Well there is a use fo it now ;)

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
I can't wait for them to fully implement multi-tasking. Not so much because I want it, but more so people will stop whining about it.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
With multi-tasking out of the way, people can find some other missing feature to bitch about. :rolleyes:

Perhaps not a missing feature but how many people who screamed for this feature are now gonna scream even louder when their battery starts draining MUCH faster than it had before.

Like I said above I'm certainly happy to see Apple roll this feature out but my concern is this... No matter how much effort they put into making multitasking as energy efficient as possible it's still going to be a bigger drain on the battery based on how the developers code their apps moving forward.

Enuratique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
I'm not complaining about the Push Notification system, but I wonder if Apple is adding this to iPhone OS to kill Push Notifications for good. I also wonder if multi-tasking will be of better use with a slightly larger screen. Maybe the current size will do, who knows.

Did you even read the linked article? It said they're keeping notifications so that many of the use cases that would otherwise require an app to be run in the background (eg: polling for updates) can still be done using notifications which is much more battery-friendly. Now that devs have written their stuff to use notifications (eg: Facebook), they can keep it like that... Only apps like Pandora should then actually use the full-blown multi-task API.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003

I wouldn't think they would kill Push notifications.. .It still allows a "one cpu process" way for multiple applications to receive small updates from a server so it should still be more efficient than having a twitter client, growl, a chat client, and a third party SMS client all have to run individual background processes (or worse, stay open all the time).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.