Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
After OS 4 is released for the iPhone, the iPad will still be running the old software. Does this mean that all new apps coded for the iPhone after OS 4 will not run on the iPad until it is updated? There goes Apple's cross device compatibility.

What do you guys think?

DKatri

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
Birmingham, UK
There might be a few issues but most iPad games will be developed seporately from their iPhone counterparts so there shouldnt be a massive issue.

sanPietro98

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
28.416834,-81.581214
After OS 4 is released for the iPhone, the iPad will still be running the old software. Does this mean that all new apps coded for the iPhone after OS 4 will not run on the iPad until it is updated? There goes Apple's cross device compatibility.

What do you guys think?

Only if the developer makes it a "Universal" app that is specifically built using the iPhone OS 4 SDK. They can still build apps against SDK 3.1.2, but it won't have the new OS 4 features. Or they can build separate apps for the iPhone and iPad. Or they can just hold off release until the Fall.

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Only if the developer makes it a "Universal" app that is specifically built using the iPhone OS 4 SDK. They can still build apps against SDK 3.1.2, but it won't have the new OS 4 features. Or they can build separate apps for the iPhone and iPad. Or they can just hold off release until the Fall.

But that's the thing, if I'm using two devices with the same OS they should have the same versions and accessibility to apps.

Right before I got the iPad, I unjailbroke my phone for this same reason.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Devs can still make a Universal 3.2/4.0 app from what it looks like. The iPad version will lack some features for the time being obviously.

sanPietro98

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
28.416834,-81.581214
As a very proud owner of an iPad, I was hoping the iPad would get OS 4 FIRST. The multitasking features and folders look great, but it's only a couple of months difference.

UCF Sam

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Devs can still make a Universal 3.2/4.0 app from what it looks like. The iPad version will lack some features for the time being obviously.

He's not talking about ipad apps or universal iphone/ipad apps, hes talking about iphone apps. He brings up a good point since all iphone apps are supposed to run on the ipad. For non universal binary iphone apps coded for iphone 4.0, this will be a problem.

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
He's not talking about ipad apps or universal iphone/ipad apps, hes talking about iphone apps. He brings up a good point since all iphone apps are supposed to run on the ipad. For non universal binary iphone apps coded for iphone 4.0, this will be a problem.

Well said

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.