iPhone OS 4+iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shakeman0, May 19, 2010.

1. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

Are you expecting great things for the iPad with the next software update?
    I know I would use multitasking quite a lot.

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I'm expecting what Steve announced last month. Plus maybe printing.

3. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

And bacon . . . I'm hoping for bacon.

4. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Same, but minus the printing.

5. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

I'll be totally honest with you...if they don't add bacon, I'm calling BS on the entire operation and returning it. I mean, how long have we waited for this? Everyone else has it. :mad:

6. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

Apps open and quit so quickly, I don't think I'll be using multitasking that much, and it's not something I'm actually too bothered about.

I expect everything that was announced at the OS 4.0 event, plus native support for printing, native iDisk support, no true file system on the device itself and some new native iPad apps for some of the features already mentioned for the iPhone, like that gaming centre app.

7. PCClone macrumors 6502a

I expect bacon and buttered toast. And it better not be that Canadian bacon, which is just ham!

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Adding bacon is unlikely as Steve is a vegetarian and it would also make the iPad fat, and we all know Steve likes devices to be ultra thin.

However, Steve has said that iPad printing is coming so I don't think it's too unreasonable to take him at his word on the topic.

9. RalfTheDog macrumors 65816

RalfTheDog

I know the iPad is thin, I don't think you could fit it in a printer. Perhaps you could use the iPad to print on vegetarian bacon?

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I dunno. Cardboard is pretty thick. Plus that would get messy in the the office with people abandoning their unwanted fakecon scraps.

11. travistaylor macrumors regular

I think the OS will look a bit different on the iPad. Multitasking will have to support landscape mode (the version of OS 4 I am running as a beta does not support that on the iPhone).

I would love it if the multitasking 'dock' popped up with a gesture instead of a double tap on the home button. The whole goal of multitasking is to stay away from the home button, in my opinion.

In fact, what is multitasking when you have to click the home button TWICE, then tap (or scroll then tap) for the app you want to open? It's actually quicker to click the home button ONCE and then click the app you want to open.

Seems very counter intuitive, and after about a month with OS 4.0 on the iPhone... I can say that I never use the coveted multitasking feature. I hope it's implemented differently on the iPad, and even the final version of the iPhone OS.

12. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

this is why I love my MacBook (even though I've been using it less since I got my iPad). The 2,3,4 finger gestures are awesome and makes multitasking seamless and effortless, and its what makes it better than any windows laptop. so if Apple can bring gestures to the iPad, that would be sweat.

can you imagine a 3 finger swipe left/right for multitasking
    [​IMG]

13. Pogo Possum macrumors newbie

I can't BELIEVE Steve Jobs didn't include bacon on the iPad. There was absolutely NO explanation on the Apple website or advertising, or any of the reviews, that the iPad did not include a basic staple like bacon. I just wish he'd get over his fight with the Bacon Company and not be so selfish. I wish I'd waited for the google tablet, I'm sure they'll include bacon like EVERY OTHER TABLET DEVICE on the market! Come on Apple, get with it!

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Which is why I'm disappointed in the multitasking implementation.

Really, all I want to do is to be able to use FaceBook chat, switch to Safari to look something up, and go back into FaceBook chat without having been signed out. Unfortunately, multitasking as implemented in 4.0 really won't be any different than pressing the Home button and picking Safari in this case.

Though, in reality, the FaceBook app could overcome this if they wanted to by staying signed in and using push notifications.

15. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I'm guessing Snausages are out of the question, too.

16. Corbin052198 macrumors 6502

Corbin052198

I think Google is working on the Nexus Two that has built-in bacon. And it is ridiculous for Apple not to put bacon in the iPad.

17. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

I thought the reasoning for multitasking was to allow an app to save its state/run in the background as opposed to making app switching a quicker operation? To have things like Pandora run while doing something else, freeze a game state etc etc. You don't *have to* use the app switcher tray, I'm sure you could do it the usual way. I could be wrong on all of this though, I'm not overly clued up on it.

18. Dillenger macrumors 6502a

Dillenger

The reason he didn't add it is due to the new iBacon that will be released sometime in 2011, but I hear that it won't have a camera, which I'm sure will honk, I mean oink some people off.

19. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Maan...I already have enough problems as it is keeping the screen clean!

20. RHatton macrumors regular

4 Finger Expose is better for that IMO.

21. Tulipone macrumors 6502

I would really like printing. Not bothered about anything else that we have not been told about, but looking forward to playing with stacks.

22. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

It is coming fall, but what is gonna be in it, Personally I want:

- shared files
    - printing
    - multitasking, double click brings up greyed screen with app icons on the bottom and the rest of the screen used for widget, it is the perfect way to implement the strangely missing calc etc

23. budman1961 macrumors regular

Maybe French Toast along with the bacon. If you look really hard at the iPad screen, you can see the "swirls" of the undocumented heating elements, basically turns the iPad into a hotplate, or high tech iForeman......

I crack myself up sometimes....