iPhone os4 GM restore

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by papa8706, Jun 14, 2010.

1. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

I was told that I didn't need to have a UDID to upgrade a 3gs to os4. I have assess to the files but I'm wary of updating. I know when you do a restore you have to be connected to the internet so there is communication with apple. Is this illegal to do or monitored by apple? I thought it would be nice to get to play around a week earlier on the 3gs and see how it runs (I heard it was laggy). If this was the case, I would try and pre-order a iPhone 4.

Has anyone done this upgrade without being a developer and if you have do you recommend it or any other tips?

2. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

You can install it without a UDID. Is it illegal? Not illegal, just against your agreement with Apple so if your phone is bricked (it won't be with the GM), Apple isn't responsible.

It is a bit laggy if you install it and restore from an iOS 3 backup. The lag is the most noticeable in the Messages app. Do a clean install instead or live with a little bit of lag until the official release comes out and do a clean install then.