Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2009
London, UK
Over half the available capacity of my phone! I’m not even sure what managed to generate this. I went to bed with 40GB of free space on my phone, with all music and video downloaded, woke up this morning and had to remove it to see that I had a ~60GB other file. You really would have thought that Apple would have some sort of tool to troubleshoot this by now…

What do I do to get rid of it?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-17 at 08.50.59.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-17 at 08.50.59.png
    56.9 KB · Views: 120

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
Over half the available capacity of my phone! I’m not even sure what managed to generate this. I went to bed with 40GB of free space on my phone, with all music and video downloaded, woke up this morning and had to remove it to see that I had a ~60GB other file. You really would have thought that Apple would have some sort of tool to troubleshoot this by now…

What do I do to get rid of it?

Long accidental voice memo?

Check the usage on your phone under settings>general>usage. It will tell you what's taking up the space app by app.

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2009
London, UK
Long accidental voice memo?

Check the usage on your phone under settings>general>usage. It will tell you what's taking up the space app by app.

Well; apparently that space is not being taken up, so thats just great. I’m probably going to have to do a restore, it looks like.

Attachments

• IMG_3387.PNG
    IMG_3387.PNG
    130 KB · Views: 96

bekarlss

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2014
I have this exact problem and have not found any other solution other than restoring the back up, which means I lose things that Apps have downloaded.

This problem usually happens after a sync hangs and fails. Based on the size of the Other category usually being around 2x the size of the actual content on the phone, my hunch is that something to do with the library is being corrupted on the iPhone 6 so that it tells iTunes that everything that is on the phone is "Other."

This is really frustrating and has never happened before I got the 6 and the new iTunes.

TN20

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
I have this exact problem and have not found any other solution other than restoring the back up, which means I lose things that Apps have downloaded.

This problem usually happens after a sync hangs and fails. Based on the size of the Other category usually being around 2x the size of the actual content on the phone, my hunch is that something to do with the library is being corrupted on the iPhone 6 so that it tells iTunes that everything that is on the phone is "Other."

This is really frustrating and has never happened before I got the 6 and the new iTunes.

All you need to do is plug in your phone and back it up. Then go to settings in the phone and erase all settings so its like a fresh new phone. Then plug in and restore that backup. you should have all items you had before minus the yellow other usage in memory.

jahall05

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2013
File a bug report with Apple!

Everyone should file a bug report with Apple. It is easy to do and the more of us who file them, the more likely the bugs are to be fixed.

You can do so using bugreport.apple.com

You do NOT need a developer account, just use your regular iTunes login information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.