iPhone 'Other' taking up space

Aurizen

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
My iphone (jailbroken) 'other' has taken up so much space 9 gigs, and I want to lower it. Anyone know of a way to lower it? I actually thinking of removing the jailbreak the only reason I have it is for zepplin. So how can i lower my Other on my iphone, is it the jailbreak the issue? should I restore and back up on the latest version of iOS?

Last edited:

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012
With it jailbroken you should be able to SSH into the device and run some commands to figure out what's using up the most disk space.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
My iphone (jailbroken) 'other' has taken up so much space 9 gigs, and I want to lower it. Anyone know of a way to lower it? I actually thinking of removing the jailbreak the only reason I have it is for zepplin. So how can i lower my Other on my iphone, is it the jailbreak the issue? should I restore and back up on the latest version of iOS?
You could try using icleaner. I would check everything except "cydia sources"

seanwebb68

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
Install coreutils and terminal

Open terminal and then type su root followed by the root password (alpine)

Then you should be able to run the following cmd

du -a /var | sort -n -r | head -n 10

This should show whats taking up the most space on your iPhone.

This will probably only help if you have been downloading large files to your phone (video, music or files) to a directory on your iPhone

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012
Install coreutils and terminal

Open terminal and then type su root followed by the root password (alpine)

Then you should be able to run the following cmd

du -a /var | sort -n -r | head -n 10

This should show whats taking up the most space on your iPhone.

This will probably only help if you have been downloading large files to your phone (video, music or files) to a directory on your iPhone
Perfect. And well said. I'll have to bookmark this myself. ;)

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
I have a 32 gig iPhone 5, only 4 gigs in the camera roll, no music and about 100 apps. My space left dwindles down everyday, im at 2 gigs free now. im sure a lot of it is mms attachments