iPhone out of contract/selling

Haleiwa Salt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
Hi,

My iPhone 4 ended its 2 year contract with AT&T, and I have a couple questions:
  • Is it 'unlocked'?
  • How much would it be worth (standard factory model, black)? Where should I try selling it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's in relatively good condition minus a couple scratches from the bumper.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Hi,

My iPhone 4 ended its 2 year contract with AT&T, and I have a couple questions:
  • Is it 'unlocked'?
  • How much would it be worth (standard factory model, black)? Where should I try selling it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's in relatively good condition minus a couple scratches from the bumper.
1. No

2. $250-$300

iPhone1993

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2012
1. No, I suggest you unlock it yourself.
2. Depending on whether or not you unlock it will determine the highest price you could sell it for. Go on eBay for price range of unlocked iPhone 4. If the phone is unlocked you can get $100-150 more than you would if the phone was locked to a company, not everyone has the knowledge to do it, so just Youtube some videos and make yourself some extra cash, it's easy. Make sure when you unlock the phone you're doing an Untethered Jailbreak, not tethered.

Haleiwa Salt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
So even though the contract is up, it's still not unlocked? I don't really have the time to look into youtubing how to jail break it :/

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
1) No it is not unlocked, you just aren't on contract. at&t won't unlock it, but you can on your own.
2) Depends on where. In the US, about $250, in the EU, a little more, Canada about $300, China, About $500.

TEG

iPhone1993

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2012
So even though the contract is up, it's still not unlocked? I don't really have the time to look into youtubing how to jail break it :/
Phones don't just unlock themselves. You can look at it like this, sell the phone the way it is for the average price it sells for, or you could take an hour of your time and jailbreak the phone and make an extra $100. I'm pretty sure whatever else you're doing for an hour isn't paying $100.

Haleiwa Salt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
Phones don't just unlock themselves. You can look at it like this, sell the phone the way it is for the average price it sells for, or you could take an hour of your time and jailbreak the phone and make an extra $100. I'm pretty sure whatever else you're doing for an hour isn't paying $100.
Fair enough.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. Gonna look into unlocking it and see if I can sell it on eBay.