iPhone out of contract/selling

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Haleiwa Salt, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Haleiwa Salt macrumors newbie

Haleiwa Salt

Hi,

My iPhone 4 ended its 2 year contract with AT&T, and I have a couple questions:
    • Is it 'unlocked'?
    • How much would it be worth (standard factory model, black)? Where should I try selling it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's in relatively good condition minus a couple scratches from the bumper.

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

1. No

2. $250-$300

3. iPhone1993 macrumors newbie

1. No, I suggest you unlock it yourself.
    2. Depending on whether or not you unlock it will determine the highest price you could sell it for. Go on eBay for price range of unlocked iPhone 4. If the phone is unlocked you can get $100-150 more than you would if the phone was locked to a company, not everyone has the knowledge to do it, so just Youtube some videos and make yourself some extra cash, it's easy. Make sure when you unlock the phone you're doing an Untethered Jailbreak, not tethered.

4. Haleiwa Salt thread starter macrumors newbie

Haleiwa Salt

So even though the contract is up, it's still not unlocked? I don't really have the time to look into youtubing how to jail break it :/

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

1) No it is not unlocked, you just aren't on contract. at&t won't unlock it, but you can on your own.
    2) Depends on where. In the US, about $250, in the EU, a little more, Canada about $300, China, About $500.

TEG

6. iPhone1993 macrumors newbie

Phones don't just unlock themselves. You can look at it like this, sell the phone the way it is for the average price it sells for, or you could take an hour of your time and jailbreak the phone and make an extra $100. I'm pretty sure whatever else you're doing for an hour isn't paying $100.

7. Haleiwa Salt thread starter macrumors newbie

Haleiwa Salt

Fair enough.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. Gonna look into unlocking it and see if I can sell it on eBay.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If its on 5.0 or 5.0.1 nothing can unlock it at the moment.