iPhone out of storage

marlasinger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
I installed iOS 7 the day it came out and until now have had no major problems. The last few days my phone just randomly tells me I am out of storage space. It goes from 4Gb free to 0 in about 5-6 hours. Has anyone else seen this?

grockk

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006
are you sure it is local storage and not icloud storage you are getting an alert about? My mom cleared out like her whole camera roll and videos and apps before coming to me and finding it was her icloud backup she was getting alerted about.

marlasinger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
Its definitely phone storage as an alert came up on my phone saying I was out of storage and could not take a photo when I tried to.

majid23

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
If you're listening to your music on shuffle, including those in the cloud, the music files are being downloaded. That's what happened to me. I deleted the songs and videos that it had downloaded and my storage was back to normal.

ominx

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
I've noticed issues with storage running down as well. My guess is that iOS is using up some storage and it's not clear where it's coming from.

If I look at my usage in settings app and take the sum of all my apps it totals 8.32 GB. However, the reported usage is 12.9 GB. So essentially there is a 4.5 GB difference that I can only assume it is the OS itself. Does anyone know a way to confirm how much data iOS is consuming?

Attachments

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
I installed iOS 7 the day it came out and until now have had no major problems. The last few days my phone just randomly tells me I am out of storage space. It goes from 4Gb free to 0 in about 5-6 hours. Has anyone else seen this?
I have, in a developer beta. You know, the one you shouldn't be using unless you have an app to test functionality with.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Seems this has now affected me.

Had over 5GB free - down to 700MB now. Would love to get to the bottom of it.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I've noticed issues with storage running down as well. My guess is that iOS is using up some storage and it's not clear where it's coming from.

If I look at my usage in settings app and take the sum of all my apps it totals 8.32 GB. However, the reported usage is 12.9 GB. So essentially there is a 4.5 GB difference that I can only assume it is the OS itself. Does anyone know a way to confirm how much data iOS is consuming?
can't confirm atm but i believe itunes breaks it down and shows os data too?

Gjwilly

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
If you're listening to your music on shuffle, including those in the cloud, the music files are being downloaded. That's what happened to me. I deleted the songs and videos that it had downloaded and my storage was back to normal.
It might be broken in the beta but it's supposed to delete iCloud music after playing.
On my iPhone, none of the iCloud music that I've listened to is actually on my phone -- it all still shows the download button.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
Off topic, but looking at the screenshot above, I am happy that iOS 7 includes data usage of the message app. Good way to judge how attachments and dozens of conversations take up.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
For me it's nothing to do with iCloud or iTunes Match or anything normally non-phone based, as I don't use any of those services.

sawah

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
When I had it installed the other data was at a gig and climbing everyday. That could be what's taking up some of the space.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Seems this has now affected me.

Had over 5GB free - down to 700MB now. Would love to get to the bottom of it.
Well on iOS 7 Beta 1 it went down as low as 500 and odd meg - which meant I couldn't install Beta 2 without deleting something.

Deleted a huge game and installed.

All of a sudden I have 3.6 GB spare. It's not the 5GB+ I had with iOS 6 (and the game installed) but it's an improvement.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Safari perhaps, creating a cache of loaded pages?
Yes that was my thoughts too, so I deleted all of the history and web info (that's possible from the menus anyway) and it didn't seem to make much difference.

There's definitely a hole leaking somewhere,