iPhone out of storage

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by marlasinger, Jun 17, 2013.

1. marlasinger macrumors newbie

I installed iOS 7 the day it came out and until now have had no major problems. The last few days my phone just randomly tells me I am out of storage space. It goes from 4Gb free to 0 in about 5-6 hours. Has anyone else seen this?

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

I haven't run out of storage, but I have noticed my storage dropping...

3. grockk macrumors 6502

grockk

are you sure it is local storage and not icloud storage you are getting an alert about? My mom cleared out like her whole camera roll and videos and apps before coming to me and finding it was her icloud backup she was getting alerted about.

4. marlasinger thread starter macrumors newbie

Its definitely phone storage as an alert came up on my phone saying I was out of storage and could not take a photo when I tried to.

5. majid23 macrumors member

majid23

If you're listening to your music on shuffle, including those in the cloud, the music files are being downloaded. That's what happened to me. I deleted the songs and videos that it had downloaded and my storage was back to normal.

6. ominx macrumors 6502

I've noticed issues with storage running down as well. My guess is that iOS is using up some storage and it's not clear where it's coming from.

If I look at my usage in settings app and take the sum of all my apps it totals 8.32 GB. However, the reported usage is 12.9 GB. So essentially there is a 4.5 GB difference that I can only assume it is the OS itself. Does anyone know a way to confirm how much data iOS is consuming?

Attached Files:

7. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Maybe you need a Samsung Mega? ;)

8. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

I have, in a developer beta. You know, the one you shouldn't be using unless you have an app to test functionality with.

9. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

Seems this has now affected me.

Had over 5GB free - down to 700MB now. Would love to get to the bottom of it.

10. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

can't confirm atm but i believe itunes breaks it down and shows os data too?

11. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

It might be broken in the beta but it's supposed to delete iCloud music after playing.
    On my iPhone, none of the iCloud music that I've listened to is actually on my phone -- it all still shows the download button.

12. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Off topic, but looking at the screenshot above, I am happy that iOS 7 includes data usage of the message app. Good way to judge how attachments and dozens of conversations take up.

13. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I sincerely hope you're enjoying your vacation. Sincerely. :p

14. matttye macrumors 601

How are you supposed to test your apps when there's no space left for data?

Didn't think that one through did you ;)

15. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

For me it's nothing to do with iCloud or iTunes Match or anything normally non-phone based, as I don't use any of those services.

16. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

When I had it installed the other data was at a gig and climbing everyday. That could be what's taking up some of the space.

17. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

Well on iOS 7 Beta 1 it went down as low as 500 and odd meg - which meant I couldn't install Beta 2 without deleting something.

Deleted a huge game and installed.

All of a sudden I have 3.6 GB spare. It's not the 5GB+ I had with iOS 6 (and the game installed) but it's an improvement.

18. ijohn.8.80 macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

Safari perhaps, creating a cache of loaded pages? You would have to visit a lot of pages though.

Is it iCloud syncing Gig's of photo's/videos?

19. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

Yes that was my thoughts too, so I deleted all of the history and web info (that's possible from the menus anyway) and it didn't seem to make much difference.

There's definitely a hole leaking somewhere,