Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigmacj888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I have searched the forums and could not find anything. I even went pretty far into google trying to solve this. Here is my problem, I would greatly appreciate some guidance.

I'm on an exchange server. Most of my incoming emails operate on rules. When the emails hit my phone, I get a buzz or a beep, but no new badge indicating that I have a new email. To find the email, I have to drill down into the email account and folders. This means that if I am not by my phone to hear the notification, there is no way that I will know that I have a new email, much less which account it is in. Gmail/Tags works perfectly, this is specific to my exchange email account.

Please feel free to tell me how stupid I am, I typically solve things on my own and this seems like there must be a simple, trivial solution I'm overlooking. Thanks in advance!

kyleaa

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2006
I'm assuming you have the other folders selected in the "Mail Folders to Push" setting? I don't know how this would affect it, but it can't hurt to ask...

grantsdale

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
The badge only updates on the 'inbox'. The other folders give the vibrate and noise notifications, but no badge.

bigmacj888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I'm assuming you have the other folders selected in the "Mail Folders to Push" setting? I don't know how this would affect it, but it can't hurt to ask...

Yes. Everything is set to push (every folder) in the settings. The mail IS pushing correctly. The problem, or annoyance, is that if the email is sent to any folder other than the Inbox, I do not get a badge notification that I have a new email.

For example, I just switched over from a Blackberry. On that device, my email would come in and show a new email notification. It wasn't until I read the email that it was sent to the other folder on my device.

Do I need to find a way to create a rule that doesn't execute until after email is read? Is that even possible? Is this an exchange setting that a network admin needs to change?

bigmacj888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008

I can't believe the iphone is limited to just the inbox. My old blackberry handled this without a problem. I would read the new email, and then the message would be applied. This isn't to knock the iphone, but its really surprising considering that I'm in the majority of users who filter their email.

Seems like it would be problematic for enterprise users who typically filter their emails by sender/client/etc. I went all weekend without knowing I had missed emails from my boss because there was no badge. The vibrate/alarm doesn't do me much good if I'm more than 5 feet from the phone. I had to drill down through several folders just to see that I had missed emails. Seems a little cumbersome to do for every folder just to make sure you haven't missed any.

I appreciate your response and point, I'm just surprised. Do you know of any work arounds? Anyone in a similar situation? The only thing I can think of is to make the rule send a copy of the email, and not the actual email, to the other folder to keep one in the inbox, but that will make the number of emails I have HUGE.

Thanks.

quandmeme

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2006
This is really annoying me too so I thought I'd chime in. I get going on a big project that is big enough that I take the time to put all the rules in place. I won't think to check my individual folders because I'm so used to my google email. Google tags items so they go both to the inbox and the folder. So I'm used to seeing everything.

Then with my exchange account I get the uncategorized emails to my inbox showing the badge. But the ones that I actually care about more (evidenced by the fact that I've taken the time to route them by an established matter) I don't see!

I too have thought about trying to duplicate the google tag function by making the rules more complicated or dealing with copies of emails.

I heard the story that Apple was hiring Blackberry's enterprise liasons and was encouraged. Hopefully they will provide the vision to get this fixed in this summer's update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.