iPhone outsells Blackberry!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TJunkers, Oct 22, 2008.

1. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yep, last quarter the iPhone 3G had just come out.

The next quarter will be interesting, with RIM's Storm and others.

Looks like sales numbers will see-saw for a while.

Also have to factor in the G-1, the various Diamonds, and sooner or later, the Nuvi.

2. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

doesn't surprise me... but my company issues BB 8820s and they have a ton of them. A small part of the company get issued iPhones but they also use Mac Pros as their desktop (marketing and communications).

When i left verizon the CSR said the Storm will destroy the iPhone and make it look like a "dinosaur". :D :D

3. aluren macrumors 65816

glad more and more iphones are being sold. now our complaints can get bigger and bigger, making it more noticeable.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Well I wouldn't want a tyrannosaurus rex or velociraptor after me.

5. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

iPhone outselling the blackberries doesn't mean anything. RIM hadn't released new phones in a while, and everyone who follows blackberries didn't want to buy anything new in advance of the bold, storm, and pearl flip.

The next few months will be more interesting...but honestly unless there's a month where a new iPhone AND a new blackberry come out together, it's hard to compare the two. Better to look at whether iPhone owners USED to be blackberry owners.

6. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

<yawn> I think it's hilarious when people claim things like this. The Storm is going to have to be one heck of a device to beat out the iPhone and I don't see that happening. (I know you're just passing on what the CSR said)

7. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

i think it was a scare tactic to keep me. its like come on... do you own the Storm? Its just hearsay and speculation and wishful thinking!

8. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

Is the iPhone not a more expensive device than your average Blackberry? (Im not 100% sure, but I suspect this is the case)
    I mention this because the article does not indicate more sales, but more revenue. Worth keeping in mind.
    Meaning Blackberry could have sold more devices, but for less money. Possibly making the total revenue still lower than Apples.

9. fungg3 macrumors regular

No they said they sold more devices

10. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

And again, take all this with a small grain of salt, since many people on AT&T were avoiding the blackberries when they knew the Bold was coming out.

Better comparison is when/if a 32gb iPhone appears during the fall/winter, at the same time the Bold is released.

Or, compare a full year's sales. The problem here is that there was a highly publicized, well known product coming out for RIM, so anyone interested in RIM wasn't buying this summer in anticipation. Meanwhile, everyone knew Apple's product was new, so they knew to buy. I wouldn't be surprised if RIM outsold Apple during April-->June of 2008 for the same reason...

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yep, everyone outsold Apple when they ran dry waiting for the 3G.

As you said, a quarter's sales aren't super meaningful except in news bites. The bigger question is about continuing sales.

RIM sold 11 million Blackberries in the first half of 2008, and the Storm and Bold are yet to hit.

RIM has sold 23 million Blackberries since the iPhone first came out in mid 2007.

12. cenetti macrumors 6502

Well, I am an apple fan boy, even I am thinking about getting a bold...Hopefully att will get it at the end of this month. I need a second line, and I've been waiting for bold......:D