iPhone Overheating/battery draining while on standby?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chocolate632, Jul 17, 2009.

1. chocolate632 macrumors 6502

So heres the whole story:

I charged my iPhone in the morning (3GS 16Gb White, 1 week old) to 100%.
    I might have used it for like 20 minutes so i wasn't shocked when the battery went down to 97%.

I went to work at around 7:30 and had it on standby in my pocket. No music playing, everything (3G wifi, push, location, brightness) turn off. I check it at 9:15 and it was down to 70%!

Thinking i must have looked at the charge percentage wrong in the morning, i left it in my pocket still on standby until 12. This time i checked it and it was at 20%! It was also a bit warm, as warm as when you've been playing for it for an hour or so, not really burning hot.

So i turned it off and back on. By the end of the day (still on standby, maybe used 10 minutes) its down to 10%. I thought that maybe it wasn't getting a good signal so it was constantly looking for one or something, but i got full bars. I'm in canada on Fido if that matters.

Also, i work in a factory, and it doesn't get that hot (it was like 20C today) with a fan. I brought it the last four days and it has not been giving me problems until today.

Is this a defect? Is there something I forgot to turn off? Should i go to an Apple store and get it check out? Right now i let the battery die fully and im recharging it.

Oh btw at the end of the day it went down to 4% and then back up to 11% if that matters

2. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Doesn't sound good to me, ecpecially since you said it was getting hot, and you weren't charging it. I'd go back to the store and let them look at it. You could try a restore, but IDK.

4. chocolate632 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, everything is turned off.

I know this was an issue with the 3GS, but i didn't expect this when it was in standby with nothing turned on!

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It's only an issue with the 3GS if you look at the forums too much. :)

But there have been some 3GS's that have had problems with the battery, so you might want to do what I said. Guess you got a bad one.

6. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Although I have a 2G, I undergone the same thing you have. I realized that with it JB, I looked at the processes and for some reason Mail was running in the background. Another issue seems to be with Beejive, I dont know if it triggers something or triggers Mail to run, but if I use it, the iPhone gets hot and drains quickly (even after signing out).

If that occurs, a restart usually fixes the problem.

7. chocolate632 thread starter macrumors 6502

Damn i forgot to mention that mine is Jailbroken too! How do you look at the processes?

I'm charging it and since I'm going to a movie tonight, i'll keep it on standby and see how much it drains

8. chocolate632 thread starter macrumors 6502

Also in the usage settings, it shows usage and standby. Isn't the usage the time when the phone was on? Because i barely used it today and it shows like 6 hours!

Attached Files:

9. enigmaverse macrumors member

Are you running Exchange? I found my battery dies real quick and the phone heats up when any part of exchange is running... I tried only running each service and it helped, but not tremendously.

10. chocolate632 thread starter macrumors 6502

nope i turned everything off (3G, wifi, exchange, push, locations)