Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmayer21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Hey, my iPhone won't charge, and I think it needs to be restored. However when I try to restore it I get the error message, "unknown error occured." It will not turn on, or charge. When I try to charge it, it gets really hot. Anybody know whats up? thanks

jmayer21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
I realize this is going to sound completely ridiculous...but do I have a warranty?

Xpublius

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Return

Even if you don't have a warranty, you might be able to talk them into replacing it. Most states have adopted the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) which is a collection of statutes relating to buying and selling goods. It says that a "non-conforming" good may be returned within a "reasonable time." The buyer can get his money back, store credit, or a replacement AT HIS DISCRETION. A "reasonable time" is usually defined by the law of the state you're in, but you could just make the argument that it's "reasonable" to expect your $400 phone to work for more than a few months. It's worth a shot.

Yes, I am a lawyer.

alecapple

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2008
Take it to an apple store if it keeps heating up, but to restore it turn the phone off, and then while holding the home button connect your phone into itunes, and then you can restore it there.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I realize this is going to sound completely ridiculous...but do I have a warranty?

All Apple products have a minimum 1 year warranty that covers hardware defects. For about $60 you can extend that to 2 years (from date of purchase). This entitles you to get your phone replaced for restored for nearly any reason.

TEG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.