iPhone owner victim of "cyber-flashing"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OllyW, Aug 13, 2015.

1. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Police are investigating after a woman was sent indecent images of an "unknown man's penis" to her iPhone via Airdrop while travelling on a train to work. Unfortunately she declined the images so the Police don't have any evidence to help catch the dirty Airdropper.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33889225

It's probably a good idea to leave Airdrop set to the default Contacts setting unless any of your friends are flashers. :D

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Unknown man, you say? Phew ... safe for another day.

3. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

Hey if some chick wants to send me a pic of her bewbs via AirDrop, go ahead.

4. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

Yes. [​IMG]

5. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

you'll have to accept on the picture send request, I typically know that I'm expecting something, I don't just randomly hit accept.
    Sounds like user/ ID 10T error to me.

6. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

Isn't a thumbnail sent in the req?

7. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Is it that hard to just set the phone to accept airdrop from "Contacts only" or disable it? Of all the things to waste police time and resources on.

8. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Doesn't it default to contacts only? I don't think I've changed my settings and mine is set to contacts only. If you change it to "everyone" I would say it's your own fault for that one.

9. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

Hard to receive a contact from someone who isn't in your contacts. While I use Airdrop infrequently, the majority of its usage is sending or receiving a contact :) Thus mine is set on Everyone.

But I agree, if you don't want unsolicited Airdrops; set up your phone as such.

10. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

True. But it's simple enough to switch it to everyone and then immediately switch it back. Otherwise you open up yourself for occurrences such as this.

11. mattoligy, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015

mattoligy macrumors 6502

mattoligy

How about the option to select how long you enable AirDrop for "Everyone" similar to when you share your location...

[​IMG]

For AirDrop I would say, Enable for five minutes, Enable for one hour and enable until end of day. Before it then reverts back to the previous setting... And maybe add a warning message to remind people there's a risk of being sent unwanted content.

12. NastyComputers macrumors regular

NastyComputers

Close one