iPhone owners that were never meant to be

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ADMProducer, Nov 17, 2010.

1. ADMProducer macrumors regular

Just a quick message for those people who are returning phone after phone, anything past 3 phones, except in exceptional circumstances I think you're probably being very dramatic about the phones performance and quality.

Nothing is perfect.

You were never meant to have an iPhone, buy an Android or Blackberry.

I've owned 4 separate phones (iPhone, iPhone 3GS 16GB, iPhone 3GS 32GB, iPhone 4). My brother has had two (iPhone, iPhone 4), my dad a 3GS 16GB and my mother an iPhone 4. All have been perfect, or does it seem funny in our household we've had 8 perfect iPhones?

Come to think of it, 5 of my friends with a mixture (4, 3GS, 3, 2G) have never had a problem either.

It was clearly never meant to be. Apple are perfectionists (white iPhone 4) but you sir, are OCD.

2. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

You sir deserve a medal for this post.

Most brave of them all, you are.

3. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

I have never had any issues with any of my iphones (2g,3gs,4), or perhaps there were minor issues but didnt notice them because the phone allowed me to make calls and surf the internet. Im sure thats just me, others may really have had experiences that made their iphones unusable. Four separate iphone 4's does seem a bit excessive though, or maybe they just have bad luck?

4. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Now that you mention it, I have noticed two specks of dust under my camera lens. This would almost certainly corrupt the pictures I take with my phone. I should probably return it. Does Apple warranty cover this egregious flaw or am I stuck with this defective merchandise :p

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree, some are really anal and just plain OCD.
    There will be cases that there are defects or problems with the device but replacing it 5-10 times like some here is nuts IMO.

6. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

I haven't had any issues with any of the iPhones I've owned, or my Fam [except the one that my wife dropped :eek:]

The ONLY thing my current iPhone 4 has had an issue with is the proximity problem. I've experienced the issue of putting the phone to my ear, and it will mute the phone. Nothing else is an issue; including the perceived antenna problem. I've yet to experience that, or dropped calls, etc...

Beyond that, I agree. People are too picky. All devices have issues, or shortfalls. It's that way with everything.

7. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

I have, nor has anyone I personally know, never had an issue with any of the Apple products I have received. Sure, some had light leaks, some acted funny some times, but never something that needs to be replaced for.

8. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

My first iPhone (3G) stopped picking up wireless about eight months into ownership. Tried everything, nothing fixed it. Got a replacement under warranty.

But I think that qualifies as an actual problem... unlike some stories we hear. ;)

9. samcraig macrumors P6

That's not a solution because anyone that retentive will have the same issues no matter what device they purchase. Some people just need to remember - it's just a phone. It's not meant to be the holy grail or solve all your ills.

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Good post!

Every iPhone owner I personally know loves it and wouldn't trade it for another phone unless it was another iPhone.

I've owned the original iPhone or as I like to call it the "iPhone Classic." I also currently own the iPhone 3GS 16GB Black. It's been a wonderful phone since I got it on launch day. It's had a few very minor glitches, but nothing a reboot couldn't handle.

11. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Yes it does. You just said that nothing is perfect.

But you just said nothing is perfect...

12. spikefood macrumors regular

15 iPhones is a bit of a small sample size considering the 10's of millions produced. I can flip a coin 15 times and it can land on heads every time, but that doesn't mean it will next time I flip it. Same with an iPhone, some people get perfect ones and others get ones with known defects. Of course some people over exaggerate the problems but that's up to apple to determine.

13. ADMProducer thread starter macrumors regular

:D I'm sorry my english was not quite as accurate as I wished it to be, probably the heat in which I first posted the thread affected this. I didn't proof read it before hitting that submit post button.

I agree, 15 is a small sample however given that each iPhone was bought at completely different times, what would the likeliness of receiving defective iPhones over good iPhones be? It's quite unmeasurable, but given a that it is a random sample i'd say it bares a reasonable suggestion that people are very OCD/anal about their iPhones.

I posted this thread in the heat of the moment, I thought i'd get a temporary ban (for a second time) considering the risky nature in it.

After all this i'd just like to say I wouldn't trade my iPhone for any other phone.

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

My user experience on my iPhone 4 on 4.1 is instant. But I'm not satisfied with instant, I want faster than instant. I think I'm going to switch to an Android phone so I can overclock and experience warp speed. :p

15. ADMProducer thread starter macrumors regular

You'll be pleased about the iPhone 5's mind reading feature then, faster than instant. It already did what you wanted it to do, just after the smallest seed of an idea was planted in to your mind. :rolleyes:

4.1 is great if i'm honest, the only gripe I have is things like the camera, it can still take more than that desired moment to load up ready for shooting.

16. Amino Man macrumors 6502

I'm one of those chronic iPhone return'rs.

However, over the years of being an avid owner and user of Apple products, they've gotten me used to top-notch quality. I have owned over 12 apple computers in my life as well as almost every iPod ever released, but the last few years, I've seen a definite dip in the quality of their products.

Yeah, maybe I'm picky but when you're conditioned to always having flawless products to lots of inconsistencies in quality from iDevices, you have a hard time getting used to dealing with those flaws.

Apple computers (for me) have always "just worked" but sadly, the more mainstream Apple gets, the more the quality suffers. They have excellent customer service though. I don't know how they can stand to put up with people like me all the time.

The iPhone 4 is the closest to the most perfect and solid iPhone ever made and I'm glad they stepped up their game for it, but a few things get me down like the antenna on the outside and the home button being flaky. I'm actually worried to return this phone due to other issues that I don't want. It's a game of luck when it comes to Apple's iOS gadgets.

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I've had 3 versions of the iPhone: 2G, 3G, and 4

I had to get 4 replacements for my 2G, and there wasn't anything OCD about it, 1 replacement for my 3G, and only had my 4 stolen, so that replacement doesn't count. Admittedly there are some OCD people on here, but I don't see anything wrong in expecting your product to look and feel new and flawless when you get it.

18. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

My iphone came with a small scratch right out of the box. It also has a loose home button and just started making that "clicking" noise in the back. (I think its because of cold weather)

I don't really care. It's just a phone thats going to get scratches anyway. I don't even use a case for it and there are plenty of scratches in the back. I still don't care. As long as the phone runs the way it should that's all that should matter.