iPhone packet sniffing

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by spyz, Jul 17, 2007.

1. spyz macrumors newbie

Ok so I was bored the other day. I went and used Eavesdrop packet sniffer to see if anyone else was using my wifi network. Then I was curious as to if it would sniff the data of my iPhone. So I setup it up and made sure the iPhone wa s surfing on wifi. Now the other computer in my house the traffic was being captured but on the iPhone it was not. Is there some kind of encryption on the iPhone (which I dont think it would because you would still see the data.) Anyone please help with this? :confused:

2. AaronBl macrumors newbie

is the reason why your sniffer won't pick out your iphone. your sniffer probably looks for 802.11a or 802.11b. Uphone uses the suffixes n and g for its wifi access. get a sniffer that will pic those up.

3. Templex macrumors regular

According to the iPhone specs page, under the Wireless data section, it doesn't use n but b or g.

I don't think this is relevant anyhow. Based on what I can gather from the Eavesdrop page, I think it only sniffs out the computer it's running on's packets, not the other people on your network's packets.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

There's also Wireshark if interested.

I've tried it out before at my local Starbucks and was able to watch the guy behind me with his iPad, not to mention the rest of the machines on SB's network (including mine) at the time.