iPhone paid apps transfer to another unit?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hellfire88, Jul 8, 2009.

1. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Hey Guys, sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I have an iPhone 3G that I barely used since I can't type on the portrait keyboard very well and thus used my Blackberry 99% of the time (for Exchange emails). Now that OS 3.0 is out and the Mail app supports landscape keyboard I find myself use the iPhone 3G more and more and enjoying it. I used to only download free apps from the App store but now that I use the iPhone more and more am looking into purchasing some paid apps.

My question is this (sorry for the noobness), I'm thinking about buying an iPhone 3GS and once I do, can I somehow transfer my paid iPhone apps from my 3G to the 3GS? Like are the paid apps "tied" to my iTunes account? Or do I have to pay for them all over again on the new 3GS? Sorry for the noob question I'm pretty new to the iTunes and iPhone stuff. Thanks in advance.

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

They are tied to your account. :) If you synced your iPhone 3G before switching phones, all your apps will be in your iTunes. If for whatever reason you buy an app on your phone, don't sync it to iTunes, then switch to the 3Gs, you can just redownload it for free. After clicking buy and putting in your password you will get a pop up saying you have bought it before and will get this update for free. :)

3. richardhunt macrumors regular

yes, any iphone/ipod touch you sync with the same itunes installation can use the apps you buy. For example I have the same apps on my iphone as I do my ipod touch that my son uses, both paid and free. It's the same issue with drm music from the itunes store. You can sync to as many portable devices you have, but are limited in the number of authorized computers. That's why all newer ipods can only sync with one itunes library, they force a clear of all content if you try to sync with a different itunes library. This is what makes an original ipod classic (80GB and 160GBA) valuable from my point of view. Those ipods still let you go to a friends house and drag/drop their movies/music to your device without loosing existing content. The new classic (120GB) behaves like the flash based unit in that it forces an erase if you wish to use someone else's library.

4. hellfire88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the quick reply! First app I'm buying is:

http://www.mobileairmouse.com/

remote touchpad/mouse/keyboard for Mac/Windows on sale now for $1.99 (dont worry I'm not an Ad-bot just saw the youtube demo and though it was too cool :) ).

5. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Cool.
    I bought BillMinder for my iPhone. Its a great way to remind myself of due dates and such for my various bills.

Try some fun games like flight control and doodle jump.
    Also Hero of Sparta is tons of fun. A 10$ app thats only .99cents now.