iPhone parental Application

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by beit, May 27, 2008.

1. beit macrumors newbie

Hi people, I'm an informatic student in SUPSI, MAnno(TI- Switzerland).
    I begun tooday my project of diploma and for this work I had to write an application that looks really like a parental application. Now discussing with some friends we arrived at a question...is this possible on iPhone with the SDK that apple furnish? I ask this because of variuos problem, iPhone isn't a not multi-tasking system?Is right that only one application can run at time?

The idea of this project is to create a software that give a limit to funcionallity offered, like the possibility to permit to call only some telephone number, avoid the possibility to sent more than 10 sms, and so on. This is only one example, at all the porgram must give the possibility to choose what application can be runned and how.

Will it possible?

Sorry for the question but I started tooday looking at what the SDK offer...

Thx in advance

Enrico Bottani
    beit46@mac.com

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm no developer, but because of the reasons you already stated (non-multitasking, no background apps) I don't think it would be possible with how Apple currently permit apps via the SDK. I'm sure it could be done, but Apple would probably need to exclusively permit its use or build the controls in to the OS.

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I don't really think that would be possible with the current SDK. As you mentioned, Apple does not allow apps created with the SDK to run behind other tasks. I believe when you go back to the home screen after being in the app the iPhone/iPod touch actually closes the app completely. Apps don't stay open like Safari and Mail do.

This is the way that'd understand it. Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

4. zmit macrumors regular

nope. but apple already have 'parental controls' on the new firmware of the iphone anyway :p

5. neven macrumors 6502a

The type of application you described can't be created with the SDK.

Here's a simple rule of thumb: the SDK lets you create independent, fairly sandboxed applications which can communicate with the rest of the iPhone apps and services (Mail, Contacts, Maps, etc.) in a limited, formalized manner (through a contact picker, for instance).

The SDK does NOT allow for any sort of modification of existing iPhone software; you can't develop system tweaks, hacks, enhancements, etc. and you can't change the behavior of existing apps.