iPhone partner network question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mike8813, Apr 30, 2008.

1. mike8813 macrumors newbie

Hello!
    My wife and I are very interested in obtaining iPhones. However, the area of Kansas that I live in does not have ATT coverage, only what is described as "Partner coverage". (Off-net) I had heard that any usage over 40% of your minutes used off-net could result in termination of your contract. This obviously would prevent us from getting and keeping service on our iPhones.
    I took it upon myself to read the ATT terms & conditions for iPhone use. Here's what it says in regard to off-net usage:

"Off-net Usage: If your minutes of use (including unlimited services) on other carrier networks (“off-net usage”) during any two consecutive months exceed your off-net usage allowance, AT&T may, at its option, terminate your service, deny your continued use of other carriers’ coverage, or change your plan to one imposing usage charges for off-net usage. Your off-net usage allowance is equal to the lesser of 750 minutes or 40% of the Anytime Minutes included with your plan."

My previous understanding was that of a pending cancellation after exceeding 40% of minutes USED. After reading this however, I'm lead to believe it's 40% of minutes AVAILABLE. For example: If we have a family plan of 1400 minutes, we could use 500 minutes monthly with no threat of cancellation. All of these minutes being used off-net. Am I correct in assuming this? ATT reps are less than helpful. Also, the majority of our usage would be calling each other. Would our mobile-to-mobile minutes count against the "Anytime Minutes" specified in the terms & conditions? If they didn't, this would make staying under the 40% mark even easier.

I apologize for the length of this post. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The best thing to do is call up AT&T, give them your address and let them tell you what they can do for you.
    Im sure they'd like to pick up new customers so something might be worked out or if not they'll let you know your options.