Iphone passcode help plz!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by needinghelp, Dec 1, 2009.

1. needinghelp macrumors newbie

Hi im new to this forum and sorry in advance if this is either posted in the wrong section or a question that has been asked many times but hopefully you can help.

Right here goes:

I bought an iphone 2g 8gb around 5 months ago and I did the usual, set up my itunes account, restored it from scratch and entered in all my information and the iphone has been working fine for all the 5 months I had it. Now christmas has come I decided to get myself a present and buy a 3g iphone selling my 2g one to a friend for what I thought was a cheap £150. I left them all the apps on I downloaded etc but heres the problem they now keep asking me for a passcode because they cant get the phone to work on there itunes? Now im no genius on iphones but when I bought the phone it never asked me for a passcode, have they done something wrong or is it something I should no? I told them to do a restart holding home and other button etc they said they tried that and it doesnt work so they then said they took it to an apple shop and they said it needs to be synced with the original computer? I cant get whats going on, surely she only had to do the same as i did and register a new account then set up as a new phone? is she being stupid? Plus I didnt want to give her my password for itunes (not sure if thats the passcode) as surely that would mean if she purchased anything it would get charged to me. :confused:

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

iTunes is seeking validation of the account to which the apps and possibly music are associated with. What you did when you sold your phone with protected content was technically violated a licensing law. Sure, it's harmless but you weren't too smart to do that because now your friend expects all the apps and such to remain when in fact that phone should have been wiped.

You need to tell her that she'll need to restore and set up as new so the phone and content is no longer associated with your iTunes account. OR you can give her your password and wish for the best.

3. needinghelp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats the thing i told her to do this, reset and set up as a new phone and she is saying she has done this and it hasnt worked? I will tell her this again then if that is the only option, didnt realise a licensing law mattered when I have paid for these apps.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You pay for an OS and it's still covered under a license law. Anyway, what you need to do is tell her to restore from iTunes not on the phone.

5. needinghelp thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, restore from itunes not the phone? sorry to be stupid but dont get you

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Yeah, Jessica is right. That iPhone (together with all the apps you left on it) is still associated with your iTunes account, and you really don't want it to be. Your friend will need to sign out of your iTunes account (under Settings > Store), and sign in with her own account. She will also probably want to delete and redownload any apps she uses, since she won't be able to update them without your password. She will have to pay for any paid apps she wants to redownload; you can't share paid content with someone else.

You do realize that you don't "own" the software, right? You purchased a license to use the software on your phone. That doesn't entitle you to give it to someone else, any more than you are entitled to install a single-license copy of MS Word on more than one computer.