Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeffrosproto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
A few weeks ago, I decided it would be a good idea to enable the passcode lock on my iPhone in case it gets lost. However, I can't get the passcode to take correctly. Here are the steps I take:

1. Go to settings>general>passcode lock
2. Enter in a new passcode (0000, for example).
3. Try changing the passcode.
4. The change passcode screen appears, however, it does not take my passcode (0000). It will start to count the failed passcode attempts at the bottom of the screen. (the same thing happens when I try using the "Turn passcode off" setting.)
5. If I hit home/power, it does not prompt for the newly created passcode (0000) at the slide to unlock screen.
6. If I hit the back button in the passcode screen or go to settings>general, passcode lock is set to "off," no matter what I do.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've already tried to reset the settings, to no avail. I will eventually restore my phone, but I don't really want to if there is an alternative.

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
This does not seem right to me.

If you do not have a passcode set, and you go to the Passcode settings, you then have to enter the same passcode twice. And that's it. Don't change the passcode after that, just follow on with the "Require Passcode" settings for how long to wait before you have to use the code.

Jeffrosproto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
The passcode is set to be required immediately. However, when I leave that settings screen, it automatically goes back to "off". I'll make a video of it later, if that would clear it up.

Jeffrosproto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
I set it for 1 minute, however it still says that the passcode is "off" when I go back to the general settings screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.