iPhone Passcode options...Apple needs to fix

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Black Diesel, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Black Diesel macrumors member

After a friends iphone 4 was stolen this weekend i have a few questions about the passcode options on a iPhone 4s. These options should seem obvious for Apple to implement but I don't think they are available:

1. I would prefer not to have to enter my passcode to unlock the phone for use, but instead require a passcode to change settings.

2. I would prefer a passcode to be required to shut off the phone

Can this be done?

Here's why - For those who can't stand having to input the passcode to unlock the phone, it would be nice to require a passcode to change the settings - this would prevent a thief to be able to quickly change the location services to off if they stole your phone. In addition, it should require a passcode to shut off the phone. This would mean a thief could not turn off the phone if your passcode option was activated, and they would be carrying a live phone that is still transmitting to the network which would be easily tracked via "find my phone". Right now it's too easy for thieves just to shut off the phone if the passcode option is activated and you are screwed. Wouldn't this seem like an obvious thing for Apple to implement?

2. nessaussie macrumors newbie

Location Services needs p/w protection in iOS5.1 update!!!

I had my iPhone4 stolen on April 1, 2012. Here in Australia, the network carriers are able to suspend call and data services to the handset, but Apple has no legal authority to bar an individual IMEI.

This means once Location Services are turned off, the thief can't be tracked by the owner using find my iPhone, by the network carrier once the Micro SIM card is removed, or by Apple Support.

The concept of find my iPhone is a great idea, but until Apple releases an update for iOS5.1 that requires a password (preferably with the user's AppleID entered as well) to switch Location Services off, any attempts to remotely track a stolen handset via location services are futile.

3. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

They could get around the pass code to turn off by holding the button down to do a hard reset.

4. flashyman macrumors member

Also

I also have same questions, Looking for the answers

5. ivandr macrumors regular

But regardless of whatever software protection you'd wish apple would implement... it's always the weakest link. In this case all it would take is a safety pin or paperclip... *Eject Sim* and bam! no more tracking...

6. nessaussie macrumors newbie

So long as you don't take up the iCloud's option of remotely deleting data from your iPhone, your AppleID on your stolen handset remains linked to the IMEI. If someone logs into the Apple Store with your stolen device to do a 'Restore' so they can have their way with the data on the handset, they are broadcasting their Internet Protocol address at the very least; handy for tracking them down.

Unfortunately at this point, Apple is not legally obliged to 'lock' devices by IMEI, nor track or 'Ping' them remotely!

Peace

nessaussie

7. apple4kim macrumors member

apple4kim

having to put in a password to wake up my phone is really annoying, but i think i have to do this just because one day my phone may be lost or stolen and i don't want other people to access my stuff.

8. nessaussie macrumors newbie

This iOS6 feature is novel, but surely relies on location services; I wonder if the
    toggling of location services has been made more secure than with iOS5/5.1 :apple: