Iphone Passcode Removal without upgrade?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mitsitsad, Dec 11, 2010.

1. mitsitsad macrumors member

I purchased a phone on craigslist with a broken LCD - just got and replaced the lcd and everything works, but the phone is password protected.

I know I can remove the pw by putting it into recovery mode and restoring, but I want to make sure this wont damage any unlockability the phone may or may not have (f0recast and others wont detect the phone)

if possible, I think i jailbroke it already with blackra1n, and the previous owner thought it was on 3.1.3, but he cant remember the pw. Can I remove the pw without restore? Thanks in advance

PS - this is legit, i didnt steal, swipe, scam, or anything else this phone. A legit purchase from someone looking to sell

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

My suggestion would be to plug it in and run Tiny Umbrella. If Tiny Umbrella detects the phone it will tell you what FW and BB is on the phone. If the previous owner had saved his SHSH then you can check by selecting save shsh from Cydia and Cydia will send any SHSH it has on file to you desktop and Tiny umbrella will report what has been saved.

If you are lucky and get SHSH files then you can restore safely to any version for which you have SHSH.

PS: Never tried TU with a password protected phone but assume it will work.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

I hate to say it the guy you bought it from might have stolen or found it since he forgot the passcode.

DFU mode should work

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034

also Tiny umbrella can now install firmware with out Itunes that might help you as well.

4. mitsitsad thread starter macrumors member

TU doesn't work for me - it'll detect it in recovery mode, but doesn't give me info on FW or BB

if i start TSS server and point to a 3.1.3 that i download will that work?

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I didn't think that update was out yet. He said he may not have it done in time for Christmas.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

opps I just read about the update I am waiting for the untethered jb to do anything.

DFU mode is the way to go. you never said what modle you have if it's a 3gs or up you need the blobs saved. if it's 3g or less just download the firmware and point it there. http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

7. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

8. mitsitsad thread starter macrumors member

Sorry - its a 3GS - no blobs saved according to TU - so to wipe it just put the phone in DFU and start TSS and point to an older FW in itunes?

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you don't have blobs, you'll have to upgrade to 4.2.1. Starting with the 3GS, apple started requiring authentication--which is why you need the blobs.
    Start saving your blobs or get another phone.