iPhone - passcodes - do you enable it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maflynn, May 28, 2009.

?

Do use the Passcode Lock

1. Yes I have it enabled

84 vote(s)
    64.1%
  2. No, I hate the idea of always typing in a passcode

34 vote(s)
    26.0%
  3. I sometimes have it on depending on the situation.

13 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As the title says do you use passcodes, if so do you also enable the option to wipe the device after 10 failures. I cannot see why you wouldn't do that if you went to the trouble of setting up the passcodes

I've been turning it on, from time to time, depending on where I am, i.e., traveling. If I'm home or in the office where the phone is typically either with me or pretty safe, I turn it off.

2. okgsds macrumors newbie

I have it on all of the time and have since I bought my iPhone. I also do have it wipe after 10 tries.

3. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

On, I lock manually when done using, auto-lock set to 2 min, and wipe after 10 wrong passcodes...

Cheers.

-J.-

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Never did it until I had an iPhone. The amount of personal data that is available on it is amazing and I don't want to chance letting someone get a hold of it.

5. DiSFLyLaTiNa macrumors regular

yeah I've never used a passcode until I got the iPhone. I have it on with wipe after 10 tries.

6. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I have it set to ask for passcode after 1 hour and wipe the phone after 10 tries, I just hope one of my friends dont pick up the phone when I'm not looking and just put in random nummers for kicks. But security comes first imho.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes, but set to come on at 15 minutes.

The only time I leave my phone alone is when it's been sitting on my desk for awhile and I get up and go somewhere without picking it up.

If it's been less than 15 minutes, I tend to not forget it.

So that seems to work pretty well.

8. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Mine also is set for 15 minutes and I don't do the 10 tries wipe. It keeps honest people honest, nothing more.

9. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Got mine set for 1 hour with the wipe option. That way, I'm not really inconvenienced by the lock (I only really have to unlock it in the morning) but it's reasonably protected if it gets stolen

10. alphatectz macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

I turn it off and on, I rarely keep my iPhone away from me.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

12. alphatectz macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

I turn it off and on, I rarely keep my iPhone away from me.

13. the-sandman macrumors regular

the-sandman

I've got mine setup to lock after an hour, so I rarely get annoyed with having to enter it. I don't have the wipe option on as I've had friends play with my touch before and lock me out for an hour :rolleyes:

14. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

15. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Yes all the kids at my school try to use my iPhone as its easily accessible from my binder ( So i can use it w/o getting caught by teachers). This really annoying girl always trys to guess the passwords(but she gets it disabled and calls 911 lol.) I do not turn on the wipe data option.

16. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Yes, I use the 15 minute with wipe option. Sometimes I'll extend to an hour, but usually not.

I used a passcode when I had a Treo too.

17. clborden macrumors regular

clborden

While mine is set for 15 minutes w/ wipe on... I originally turned it on to eliminate the SMS preview. It still shows who is texting me, which has caused plenty of problems with my girl...at least now it doesnt read the whole text.

18. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

My passcode is always on. I don't use the "wipe after 10 tries thing" though. Mostly just so everyone doesn't read my texts, etc. And if a teacher were to take away my phone, they wouldn't be able to go through the whole entire thing...whew.

19. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I use the 15min option.

I really wish there was a quicker way to enable the passcode, rather than going into settings and into all that crap. Perhaps Apple should come up with an icon that you press (or hold) and it locks your phone until you disable it in settings.

20. jutte64 macrumors regular

are you really all that parinoid about someone taking your iphone? or in some cases that scandaless you dont want your sig. other see who is texting you what? the way i look at it i spent that much money on an iphone i am not letting it out of my sight to begin with. any app that has personal info on it or something you want to hide ie. Pic vault has its own password for that app. and if your talking to other girls in manners your girlfriend wouldnt like maybe you need to rethink having a girlfriend to begin with! also if you cant trust your friends to handle your iphone because they might do something to it or steal info off of it why do you hang out with them?

21. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Don't come here and criticize us all. You need to remember that there is the possibility that you will lose your phone - it happens to everyone. I want to make sure that no one can get that info without some effort. I don't have anything to hide, anything to keep from anyone - I just want my privacy.

22. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

i had mine on and set it to ask after an hour with wipe after 10 minutes. i think that i am more likely to lose it rather than someone stealing it.

i could give less of a sh---poop if someone had all my info, but i dont want all my friends information getting out, especially if someone we know finds the phone and decides to snoop through it

more than that i had it enabled to make sure that readable texts didn't pop up when someone was playing with my phone.

23. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

I want to be the only one to enjoy my iPhone, thats why i have mine on. So if i lose it its useless to everyone else.

24. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Oh wow. I voted 'yes', but I didn't think 'yes' would be so far in the lead.

15 minute lock = just right

25. JEB229 macrumors member

I have mine enabled, 15 minutes. No wipe function though, too many people try to guess it.