iPhone patent posted - 3G version features revealed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Grimace, May 30, 2008.

1. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Blog, GPS, and Video conferencing are all mentioned! :D Via Engadget

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The interesting thing is number 141.

Also this is probably the older patent, perhaps for the 1st gen iPhone, notice the big E.

3. Grimace thread starter macrumors 68040

Grimace

The date filed is September 2007 (months after the initial launch) but it does indicate (I would never use the word "confirm") the features that may arrive in a few weeks!

4. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Or it indicates features considered/planned and later abandoned.

But wait...Apple doesn't ever abandon anything they start on, right? :rolleyes:

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Does it mention MMS, copy/paste and video recording?

:)

6. MegaMan1311 macrumors regular

The patent isn't for the first iPhone (iPhone 1.0). Take a look at 149-6. They added that in a software update months later. Unless it was a planned feature that didn't get put in the iPhone 1.0.

7. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I think this could very well be for the new iPhone or, as previously mentioned, it could have been for an idea that Apple had but has abandoned. We'll see on June 9th hopefully.

8. pauld macrumors regular

If iPhone 2, looks like no front-mount camera.

9. mark34 macrumors 6502a

This indicates absolutely nothing.

You don't have to build something to file a patent on it, you just have to think of it. Sometimes you just prevent others from doing certain things or place a bet that others will desire to do so and therefore will require a license for operational freedom. Or, it is just an interesting idea and you protect it just in case.

10. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Sorry, but thank god. I mean seriously apart from looking at yourself what could you do with it. Regular broadband in many countries (especially in the UK and US where the huge majority of the iPhones are sold) can hardly handle decent video conferencing, let alone 3G could, and most of the states doesn't even have 3G.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    My favorite is the picture around page 161 of a set of windows with QuickTime, WMV and Flash movies playing at the same time.

12. pauld macrumors regular

With '3' I use it about 4 or 5 times a week. That's with a 'regular' 3G phone, no HSDPAwhatchamacallit. With HSDPA, the quality can only increase (don't forget, it's a much smaller screen that it has to stream to in comparison to the PC you have trouble conferencing with).
    Even if an 'iChat AV' is done only via wifi it would be a very neat feature.
    As for America's 3G network, wasn't it posted here that there is mass AT&T 3G roll-out in progress? Not to mention that iPhone will only now be relevant to the rest of the world, notably Asia where, as far as I know, use of mobile video chat is much higher.

13. macbookhamburg macrumors regular

software not harware

All of the things mentioned are software related ... has nothing to do with a 3g hardware version or am i missing something ?

14. mark34 macrumors 6502a

How many times does this need to be refuted? It's a big country, but if you travel in and around major metropolitan areas you have had good 3G coverage from AT&T for some time now. I use both my Samsung Blackjack and my 3G card with my MacBook Air and rarely find myself out of 3G range.

15. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Won't it be confusing that the 2nd generation iPhone, essentially rev. B or as we called the iPods 2G will really be the 3G iPhone.

I had an original rev. A 1G (1st Gen) 5GB iPod and several others including a 8GB 2G iPod Nano and a 15GB 3G or 3G 15GB iPod, etc.

I have my 1G 8GB iPhone which supports Edge which is considered 2 or 2.5G.
    Will the new iPhone be a 2G 16GB iPhone or even 2G 32GB iPhone which supports 3G.

It's the long awaited 3G iPhone, but wait it's the 2G iPhone, it just has/does 3G. Which G are you talking about/on.

Too many GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGs.

16. otep1760 macrumors regular

otep1760

i thought the same thing the other day, it is bound to cause a lot of confusion once it is finally released and people have questions.

what about when the 3rd gen iphone is released?
    this confusion is going to be greeeaaaatttt.

17. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

It will be the 3G of the iPhone with 4G. With the 2G (generation) Camera and 2G GPS chip, you get the point.

18. dom7 macrumors member

Isn't "Optical Sensor 164" referring to a front-mounted video camera?

19. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

There are already two sensors there. Ambient Light and Proximity sensors. Nothing for camera on this patent picture.

20. mmoosa macrumors 6502

mmoosa

optical refers to light....so no, even though it may seem like optical is a camera, it is defined as 'of or relating to or involving light' its the ambience sensor.

soz:)

21. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Item 164 is clearly a front-mounted camera, at least that's my take:

22. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Well indeed fishkorp. No one else took the initiative to read this. Good job.

EDIT: Maybe they will incorporate the Ambient light sensor in with the camera "sensor" and that is why we will only see two sensors.

23. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

It's obviously the patent made based on the original iPhone and its general ideas. Are there features not present in the current phone, yes, but when you file a patent, you don't just patent stuff you are using, you patent all the ideas you have so that other people don't copy your ideas. This is proof of nothing except all the ideas they had for the original iPhone project, some of which may or may not end up in a 3G iPhone.

24. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Right, but it was filed a few months after the first iPhone came out. So there's a good chance a bunch of that stuff will be in v2.

25. impact_blue macrumors regular

Obviously they would hold back on features for future iPhones.