iphone pay as you go option

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Luis Ortega, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

How does the iphone pay as you go option work?
    Do you pay for using features other than phone call minutes or text messages?
    Does it cost to use the internet, gps locator maps or email?
    Does it cost to receive phone calls or texts?

2. nitewolfgtr macrumors regular

nitewolfgtr

Did not know they even have that for iPhone....:confused::eek:

3. bartelby macrumors Core

I'm sure all those questions are answered on the O2 website...

4. ShepUK macrumors member

Phone call minutes & text messages are paid for the same way as any other O2 PAYG phone (via top up vouchers etc).

You get 12 months free "unlimited" internet access from the day you activate your phone. Every month, O2 sends you a text message to remind you how many months of free access you have left. Once the free period is over, you can buy further access at a bolt-on rate of £10 per month, by texting a special number (the £10 is then deducted from your current PAYG credit). You also get free access to a couple of the more popular Wifi networks bundled with the internet access.

Obviously, if you have your own wifi network at home / work, then you can hook up to those networks free of charge whenever you're in range.

locational services/GPS is - technically - free. However, most of the applications that make use of this feature also require a live internet connection (to retrieve maps or whatever).

In summary, for the first year, you only pay for your calls and texts. From the 2nd year onwards, if you want to retain full functionality on your phone, you need to pay an additional £10 a month.

5. rediffusion macrumors regular

rediffusion

I'm in the US but will be traveling to the UK next month. Is it possible to buy a O2 'pay as you go' sim card to use while i'm in the UK? I'll be making loads of UK calls and it will cost me a fortune to use it via my AT&T sim card.

I have the original EDGE iPhone.

R ;)

6. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

You'll have no problem buying a Pay & Go SIM card.

However, you will face challenges using it in your iPhone. You'd have to unlock your iPhone in order to use any non-AT&T SIM. For iPhones sold in the USA, there is no way to unlock them except by means of unauthorized hacks which would void your warranty.

You may not get access to the special £10 iPhone unlimited bolt-on if you didn't also purchase an iPhone at the same time as you signed up for service. If that's the case, you could purchase 200 MB of Pay & Go EDGE/GPRS data per month for £7.50 - or else enter some fake APN settings to avoid incurring per-use data charges.

7. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

absolutely no voiding of warranty necessary... nor is any unlocking. simply restore the iphone and put in the o2 sim. connect to itunes and it will activate.. then when you are back home restore the iphone again and then activate with ATT sim.. be sure to make a backup of iphone - each time u reset iphone, restore from backup.. dead easy....

HAKUNA MATATA...

8. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Nope. An iPhone sold in the USA will only ever accept SIM cards that carries AT&T's Mobile Network Code (one of 038, 090, 150, 170, 410, 560 or 680) and the USA's Mobile Country Code (310). A SIM card that carries an O2 MNC (one of 02, 10 or 11) or a UK MCC (234) will be rejected. Even if you restore.

You must unlock (hack) it (or use one of those daughter cards that tricks the iPhone into seeing an MNC and MCC that is different from the one that's actually on the SIM) in order to use any non-AT&T SIM card. End of story.

9. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila