iPhone PAYG will be released on 11th July 2008

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sdm1985, Jul 2, 2008.

1. sdm1985 macrumors 6502

Hello Shawn,

Thanks for emailing us to ask about the launch date of the new iPhone 3G on our Pay & Go tariff.

Yes, the new iPhone 3G will be launched on 11 July 2008 with our Pay & Go tariff.

To buy the iPhone on our Pay & Go tariff, please register your interest by clicking on the following link:

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone

After you've registered your interests, we'll contact you in early July to tell you about the new 3G iPhone.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

I hope you find this information useful and many thanks for your keen interest in the iPhone 3G.

I hope you'll find this information useful. If there's anything else we can do for you, please reply to this email.

Important - When you email us please provide: your date of birth, postcode and mobile number as it helps us answer your query faster.

Kind regards,

Lucky Tamang
    O2 Customer Service.

2. alabastercodify macrumors newbie

3. LangleyAls macrumors member

Well i believe him, nobody could even make up the name of that O2 employee! :p

4. sdm1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

haha i didnt notice her name.

This email is genuine from 02!!

:apple::D

5. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

6. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Problem is at this point I'll believe it when I see it. still no confirmed pricing and only 9 days to go.

OTOH One way of interpreting this sentence:
    "Yes, the new iPhone 3G will be launched on 11 July 2008 with our Pay & Go tariff."

Is that they're not releasing the tariffs until the 11th either.. which would be insane.

7. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Release Day hasn't happened yet.:p

8. TomB88 macrumors member

I've been told by several people that O2 are releasing details of everything one week from the launch. So this Friday we can expect everything to become clear at last. Apparently they like to cut it very fine at O2 - I can see why though, maintaining secrecy obviously increases hype and makes it harder for competitors.

Personally, I'm inclined to believe this news. Wishful thinking maybe, but thinking about it I doubt O2 are stupid enough to alienate customers by holding back the PAYG model.

9. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

I *really* want to believe it.. however I don't think holding back is helping them - they have no competitors in the UK for the iphone, and if it's to increase hype why publish the contract details first?

OTOH there's a good reason not to release PayG on day 1 - get more people onto the £30 contract that wouldn't otherwise do so. If I get to the store and there's no PayG I'm as likely to say "Screw it, put me on the £30" than walk out... even though I hate contracts.

The signs are looking good that they will (if you take an average of what the stores/CS are saying).. but releasing the pricing a week before? That's cutting it *really* fine.

10. alFR macrumors 68020

They've got to be making that up. :)

11. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I went into two o2 shops yesterday & a carphone warehouse, all said yes we will have the 3g iphone for sale on payg on/from july 11th

12. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

13. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

14. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Because getting hold of that kind of money requires knowing how much money to get hold of in the first place?

Because it's nice to be able to decide what to buy before you're actually in the shop being hassled by salesmen?

Lots of reasons.

If when I'd wanted to buy my first Mac half the apple stores had said they sell them, half had said they didn't (along with a few that insist that nobody sells them) and Apple gave different answers every time I asked.. *and* all of them refused point blank to tell me how much it cost... you think I'd have bought one? Hell no.

15. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Hello Sonic,

Thanks for emailing us to ask about the launch date of the new iPhone 3G on our Pay & Go tariff.

Yes, the new iPhone 3G will be launched on 11 July 2008 with our Pay & Go tariff, and will cost £299 for the 8 GB model and £359 for the 16 GB with six months of unlimited data. I would highly recommended, however, that you look at our reasonably priced contracts and stop being such a cheapskate. After all what is £360 a year to someone like you? In fact why not go large and take our £75 a month tariff. Go on.

Please register your interest by clicking on the following link:

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone

After you've registered your interests, we'll contact you in early July to tell you about the new 3G iPhone.

I hope you find this information useful and many thanks for your keen interest in the iPhone 3G.

I hope you'll find this information useful. If there's anything else we can do for you, please reply to this email.

Important - When you email us please provide: your date of birth, postcode and mobile number as it helps us answer your query faster.

Kind regards,

Jane Megabits
    O2 Customer Service.

16. alabastercodify macrumors newbie

And it's just annoying hearing different things all the time. They should just release the proper details and avoid all this confusion.

17. TomB88 macrumors member

QFT. I think that O2 plan to release it on July 11th, and are just trying to maintain secrecy. They're not doing a great job - clearly all the staff both in stores and at customer services have heard different information about the launch, and as such we are getting a lot of conflicting info. All should become clear soon enough - Friday is looking likely for the press release, 1 week from launch.

18. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

But do you need to have the thing in your hands on July 11. If they just announce prices on July 11, then decide about purchasing one and have it a few days later.

19. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Yes.

Ideally some time around 7.05am.

20. sdm1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Come on 02...let us know this Friday about what damage the iPhone PAYG will do to our pockets!!

:confused::confused::confused::confused: