Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jetsonhk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2008
I'm reaching out to you fellow readers to see if any of you have come across recent information about the breakdown by country that is using the most iPhones.

I'm looking to have my iPhone app translated into more languages outside of English and wanted to see which countries has the biggest iPhone penetration.

I heard from an Apple employee that France was #2 behind the US?

Apologies for my lack of Google skills. Thanks in advance.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
I would think the UK would be 2nd behind the U.S., but that's based only on the fact that the UK has had the iPhone longer than any other country than the U.S., and also that I see a lot of them around London!

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
I'd be more interested in a breakdown by city - country is just a bit too broad. Especially in countries with broad social/economic situations.

For example ... I see iPhones EVERYWHERE in Toronto. But my hometown (not too too small, but kinda out in the "boonies") seems to have way less iPhones kicking around.

I doubt we'll see this kind of information any time soon, though.

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Bombay has tonnes of them... I have a small computer shop and i sell iPhone 3g 8gb and 16gb imported from Australia legally unlocked. I take care of the warranty for them but if the customer wants to manage his warranty thats fine by me. i bought 400 pieces in october and they are all gone. have to get some more stock...

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
I found this when my Google skills kicked back in - from August:

Th first 1 million iPhones went to:

#1US
#2 Japan, Germany and France tie for 2nd.
#3 Spain
#4 UK (must be a population thing Stampyhead)
#5 Canada (hmmm maybe not ;-)

Ireland, New Zeland and Hong Kong all tie at the end.

http://www.medialets.com/blog/2008/08/04/the-first-1-million-iphones-where-did-they-go/

Well, from this list it appears that French might be a good one to start with. It will be effective for not only France, but Canada - Although Canadian French is a bit different than France - French is it not?

I guess the next step is to find a list where the total number of iPhone's sold, because it's difficult to tell between the #2 spot which is tied three ways - who is currently in the lead so that your App can be more effective.

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
Bombay has tonnes of them... I have a small computer shop and i sell iPhone 3g 8gb and 16gb imported from Australia legally unlocked. I take care of the warranty for them but if the customer wants to manage his warranty thats fine by me. i bought 400 pieces in october and they are all gone. have to get some more stock...

How much do you sell them for?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.