Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
This has been getting really annoying and happening on both my iPhone and iPad! Every now and then I scroll through my apps and I get an app icon and the name of a totally unrelated app show up grayed out on my homescreen (example in the picture). Clicking on the app does absolutely nothing and resetting homescreen layout is the only way to get rid of them.

Does this happen to anyone else? I can't even organize my apps the way I want to as these stupid phantom apps keep showing up.

I have reinstalled iOS, and even got a new phone from Apple for an unrelated issue. I just don't know what it is!

Attachments

• IMG_1150.PNG
    IMG_1150.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 498

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
537c9a655eb60ed602966709eb2624a1.png

I had "Apps" on and everything I installed on phone automatically was on iPad and vise Versa. Drove me crazy for a few days. Perhaps it's your issue?

Reactions: Applejuiced

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
537c9a655eb60ed602966709eb2624a1.png

I had "Apps" on and everything I installed on phone automatically was on iPad and vise Versa. Drove me crazy for a few days. Perhaps it's your issue?
It's not that. As you can tell it's not even the correct icon for capital one. It's just a crazy looking phantom app.

Reactions: blaine07

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
try downloading the app that's phantom on your springboard from the App Store and then delete.
The original app is still there! This seems to happens when the iPhone goes out and looks at the App Store and installs automatic app updates. And it happens on my iPad too! But just my phone :(. This was after a restore without backup.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
This has been getting really annoying and happening on both my iPhone and iPad! Every now and then I scroll through my apps and I get an app icon and the name of a totally unrelated app show up grayed out on my homescreen (example in the picture). Clicking on the app does absolutely nothing and resetting homescreen layout is the only way to get rid of them.

Does this happen to anyone else? I can't even organize my apps the way I want to as these stupid phantom apps keep showing up.

I have reinstalled iOS, and even got a new phone from Apple for an unrelated issue. I just don't know what it is!

FYI that icon is the app "Stash Invest". I know that because I downloaded it today.

Do you sync with iTunes over wifi? Go into iTunes and check your apps list and manually delete and bad or old app ipa files from there. I had a bunch of apps I deleted before sync to my phone out of nowhere the other day. Went into iTunes and deleted them to avoid that. Have you ever downloaded stash?

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
FYI that icon is the app "Stash Invest". I know that because I downloaded it today.

Do you sync with iTunes over wifi? Go into iTunes and check your apps list and manually delete and bad or old app ipa files from there. I had a bunch of apps I deleted before sync to my phone out of nowhere the other day. Went into iTunes and deleted them to avoid that. Have you ever downloaded stash?
Yes and both apps work great!

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
Oh, Apple. As a software developer I'm actually quite ashamed of the code quality that Apple releases these days. It's flat out embarrassing for a company with this much money to release code that appears to be written by highschool dropout script kiddies

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Oh, Apple. As a software developer I'm actually quite ashamed of the code quality that Apple releases these days. It's flat out embarrassing for a company with this much money to release code that appears to be written by highschool dropout script kiddies

So you have remotely analysed this issue sufficiently to blame somebody? Wow.

Reactions: Suckfest 9001

maxmonty

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2017

I have the same thing happening to me right now!
Brand new 7 Plus. I installed whatsapp and now there's a second greyed out whatsapp icon with the name of another random app (it was Photos for a while and now it has changed to calculator)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.