iPhone Phone Mucked Up.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jamied95, Dec 1, 2010.

1. jamied95 macrumors 6502

Rightio, having just recovered from a panic attack, I come here, seeking your help!

At the end of October, my iPhone 4 was replaced, with a replacement (obviously). The phone looked fine, and so I took it home, but in the last two weeks I've got a message 5 times, saying "Restore Needed. iPhone cannot make or receive calls. Restore in iTunes." but upon every restart, it's all gone back to normal. 3 of these times, I was on 4.1 and 2 have been on 4.2, but today when I restarted, it came up with a plug into iTunes message when it turned back on (as in, black screen, USB and the hideous iTunes logo), clicking the i just said that the serial number and IMEI were unknown, panicking, I plugged it into iTunes, which came up with a message saying iTunes could not recognise it because it had a passcode, but I couldn't unlock it! Now, even more stressed, I again restarted my phone, it turned on (phew), half synced, stopped, the storage bar said my phone was full, even though it wasn't last time I synced, I had a good 4 or 5 GBs left. After about 5 minutes, the phone alerted me to the fact that that it was now activated (?) and ever since, there's been a spinning circle in my status bar thing at the top.

For a phone, the iPhone sure does make difficult work of being a phone!

So yes, I'm in a bit of a kerfuffle, could anybody give me any idea of what I should do? It's snowing here in England at the moment, I don't want to go out tomorrow, get stuck, and my phone decide it's not going to work anymore, what do I do!? Help!!!

2. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

No 1) Try restoring the phone "As new" instead of from a backup. That may be a PITA, but if something in the software has gone pear-shaped, restoring from a backup may reintroduce the problem yet again. (As a side note, this is why I have my contacts synced with a cloud service like Yahoo or Google, independent of my iTunes backup)

If that doesn't fix the issue:

No. 2) Bring it to Apple. Yes, it sucks to have to do that, but these types of problems are not normal, so if your phone needs replacing, it needs replacing.

3. jamied95 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

not if you restore from your previous iPhone

5. jamied95 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I know it sucks to have to say "take it to apple" when you come here to avoid that but, take it to apple.