iphone "phone" quality...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FearNo1, Mar 13, 2009.

1. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

I was talking to a friend in chicago who recently got the iphone. He is pretty unhappy with the quality of its phone capabilities. He has multiple disconnections per day. He took it to apple and was informed he should disable its 3G capabilities. That makes no sense, since he is paying for the the data plan. I thought the quality of the phone was improved with the firmware updates. Is that not the case?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I've seen a LOT of complaints around here about AT&T in Chicago.

I have no first-hand experience, but it's worth pointing that fact out. Chances are, he's just geographically unlucky.

3. tvp macrumors member

I live in the middle of nowhere and have no problems with connectivity. Places where my last phones (AT&T Tilt and a Blackberry Curve) would have no signal my iPhone always has a signal. Maybe there is something defective on your friends phone?

4. rayward macrumors 65816

I have no connectivity issues in Houston, other than that I have a 2G iPhone and AT&T have downgraded the EDGE network to such an extent that data service all-but disappears inside any building. Calls are fine, though.

5. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

You mean to tell me there's a phone in there?

6. FearNo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am in chi and has AT+T as well. My Q works fine on it. My contract is over and I was thinking about getting an iphone. But after hearing his complaints, I am not sure...

7. fedup flyer macrumors regular

The only complaint I have about the iphone is lower signal reception. I could be in a hotel room in Italy and barley get on bar or no bars on my iphone. Switch the sim card back to my Krzr and I get 3-4 bars in the same spot. Not to mention the battery life is a bit longer on the Krzr

8. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

9. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Phone quality...

Hmm, it's better than the HTC Fuze, not quite as good as the Blackberry, overall it's decent.

10. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I am in the Chicago area and I am on my 1st week with the iPhone and no problems. I have a bunch of friends who live near me and when before I got the iPhone i asked them all, played with their phones and found no problem. I am so far very happy with the iPhone and the at&t network.

11. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I'm in Indianapolis and my phone is a disaster. Full 3G service, but it still drops calls.
    And people wonder why I text so much...

12. danny_w macrumors 601

Mine is a 2G, but the voice quality is horrible. I think it is more AT&T than it is the phone though. Many times even with full strength I have difficulties understanding what people say because of cut-outs.

13. vienta macrumors newbie

I'm in Colorado and mine frequently fails to ring even though I have full signal...I've missed out on tons of stuff because my iphone didn't register the call or text until hours later. AT&Ts service is pretty awful- it's too bad they're the ones with all the good phones.

14. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

The AT&T 3G service is a mess all over the US. I don't get service where I am sitting now and I'm in Atlanta. The only way to not get a dropped call is to go outside. I am planning on moving to Verizon after my service agreement is up.

Warning to all new AT&T customers: make sure you get good service at your house before you consider signing a service agreement with AT&T.

15. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

I'm in a remote but touristy spot in Colorado and I get full 3G all over the town, only around the fringe area's at the edge of town does it drop to Edge or Analog (the "o").

16. FearNo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

You do get 30 days to try it out..right?

17. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

From personal experience, I used to live in Yukon, OK and only got ~2 bars of Edge signal but I recently moved about 4 miles north of downtown Oklahoma City and now I have a 5 full bars of 3G signal in my house so maybe your friend is just in a bad area.

18. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

It's the network more likely, than the phone. The quality to be a phone is good. But if you've got awful reception to a bad network... A good phone will only be able to do so much.

19. fishepa macrumors regular

20. friedduck macrumors newbie

I had the problem with mine (in Atlanta) when I got it. I was dropping several calls/day. I'd had it and visited AT&T and Apple in one day. AT&T replaced the SIM card and the Genius told me I needed to do a Restore through iTunes.

I don't know which one solved the problem but the dropped call problem went away. (I've still, on rare occasions, dropped calls but it's more in line with my experience on other phones--only in areas with sketchy signal.)

Two notes: at Apple they plugged it into a diagnostics program and it had a report of dropped calls over the past month (interesting.) Also, a Restore wasn't a restoration in the traditional sense, but a full reinstall of software. I then recovered all my contacts from a back-up and re-synched and I was good to go. HTH, Jeff

21. ~Phi macrumors regular

I'm in the wrigleyville neighborhood of Chicago and ATT service has been horrendous with my first gen and 3g. Full bars and constant dropped/failed calls.

22. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I don't like your user name.

23. jpk32092 macrumors 6502

24. FearNo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Interesting, do others you know in chicago with iphone have the same dropped call problem as you?

25. marine610610 macrumors regular

Its ATT. I am currently using sprint, but i experience this constantly when i talk to friends/family who have ATT. I experience dropped calls with them, busy signals (what is that about??) straight to voice mail when their phone is on etc..