Iphone photo and video transfers

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mani1101, Feb 1, 2012.

1. mani1101 macrumors newbie

Ok, i have a small situation. My wife just got an iphone 4s and she's not used to be checking her space memory since she has always used sd cards. I got her a 16 gb and told her that she will have to transfer her photos and videos periodically to the computer so she can maintain her space memory. My question is, is there an easy way where she can automatically transfer her photo or videos to a folder on her computer or somewhere else, wirelessly and at the moment she takes the picture, so she can delete it from her phone and still have it in another place?

Thank you.

2. ObuckiO macrumors regular

icloud <LINK

3. mani1101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can i have 3 iphones synced in the same icloud account. Meaning, her sister and mother can all share photos?

4. ObuckiO macrumors regular

Google: iCloud Family sharing
    There are a few different plans and answers for exact details
    Here's one link: iCloud Family sharing

5. mani1101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses.

OK so they can all share photos. Now 3 more questions and i wont bother again:

1. If i start my wife with an icloud account, so whenever she takes a photo from her iphone automatically sends it to her mac, and give that account to her mother's and sister's iphones, Will the pictures taken by them (mom and sister) be also sent automatically to my wife's mac?

2. Regardless of the way that i set up the accounts, depending on your response to 1, and eventually i get to what i want, Can i back up all the pics sent by icloud to my wife's mac (from my wife's, her sister's and her mother's iphones) in an external drive ?

3. And if everything works out like this, Can they delete pictures from their respectively devices without them being removed form my wife's mac?

Thanks for the patience, Hope anyone can help me.

6. ObuckiO, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012

ObuckiO macrumors regular

This might help you. icloud and sharing
    icloud transfer help

7. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

About the easiest way to take photos off your iPhone(-s) is this...

Connect your iPhone to your computer via USB. If iTunes opens, close it. Go to your computer's main window (on PC - check devices and printers) and open the iPhone as if it were a flash drive. You will see a folder. Open it and keep going until you get to DCIM folder - that's where the photos are stored.

From there, you can edit, delete, and drag/drop photos in either direction - from the iPhone to your computer or visa versa.

No special app needed. However, make sure Photostream isn't activated in iCloud because, at this point, you can't delete photos from Photostream backups. Any you take off your iPhone will be replaced by Photostream. This is a glitch supposedly to be fixed in the next OS update.

8. ObuckiO macrumors regular

I tried to do this(on lion), and i only get a "ipod photo cache" folder(top R main screen). I open it and it's empty. I usually trash it after i'm done. When i trash it, it normally has 2 quick items to delete. Am i missing something on your method. (iphone4 not jailbroken)
    The USB method for transfering pics & vids, that i use is; Type in "Preview", File tab, import from xxx:iphone. Is that the same way your explaining in a way? It seems like your way they're more options(edit, visa versa), I only can import and choose where to save(edit, etc. in iPhoto.) I'm fine with my method, i just wanted to try yours because of them options you spoke of. Thanks, Arelunde

9. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

I'm not sure how a Mac inter-relates with an iPod. But it seems there should be some way to find your photo/vid folder using the USB as a "flash drive" type device (as compared to iTunes intervention).

Wish I could be of more help. It works for me on my PC with an iPhone4 and a iPad2 - both the same. I have to open a couple layers of folders to find the DCIM one with the photos in it. But it's there. However, it only contains (lately) the camera album - not every photo. I'm pretty sure I could access all my photos - maybe from one of the other folders. I'm not near a computer right now to check.

10. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

Well, I have to revise my thinking on my earlier comments in this thread - I've discovered that I can't ADD photos from my PC to my iDevices. I can drag them off the iDevice and edit on the iDevices, but not add them via drag/drop.

I guess Dropbox would be an alternative to this aspect. Any other suggestions??