iphone photo backups

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HE15MAN, Dec 16, 2010.

1. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

When you backup your iphone, does it actually store the images on your computer somewhere?

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

When you a take a picture on your iPhone it will go to the camera roll. Then when you hook up the iPhone to iTunes, a window will pop asking if you want to import the pictures. You'll then have the option to take them off the iPhone and save them to your photo's folder.

3. HE15MAN thread starter macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

Ahhh I figured they actually saved copies of the photos onto your computer when it did the backups

4. HE15MAN thread starter macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

Well then when you get a new phone, how does it put the images back onto your new phone?

5. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

When you are in iTunes, a connected iPhone shows up under "Devices" in the left hand margin menu. Click on the device shown once to bring up the syncing menu which has several tabs (Info, Apps, Music, TV shows, Movies, etc.). One tab is Photos. Under this tab, you select what photo albums, events (iPhoto- assuming you are on a Mac), etc. you want synced over to the phone. You can do this if you are syncing to iTunes on Windoze too. It's a little different IIRC, but I haven't used a PC in about 2 years so my info might be a little outdated as to how exactly you do it.

As I recall, in Windoze, you open iTunes. Click on the device and you can navigate to the file folder on your PC where your photos are stored to choose what photos you want synced over to your iDevice.

You might want to scan through pages 55-60 (especially 60) in this document from the Apple Support website: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPhone_iOS4_User_Guide.pdf

Hope this helps.